3750 as a router

Answered Question
Oct 28th, 2009
User Badges:
  • Purple, 4500 points or more

All,

I have a 3745 router that connects to our 3750 stack. The 3745 has 2 connections: a DS3 and a L2 connection across a MAN. My question is all theory, but if my 3745 were to die, shouldn't I theoretically be able to remove the L2 connection from the router, connect it to the 3750, configure it as a routed port, and then run my routing protocols over it? The MAN connection is configured as my failover link now between two routers, but I think this would work if I needed a quick connection in the event of a failed router.

Thanks,

John

Correct Answer by Giuseppe Larosa about 7 years 5 months ago

Hello John,

short answer yes.

using an SVI you could even be able to connect both the router and the 3750 to the MAN connection.

but this could have other side effects.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Correct Answer by Edison Ortiz about 7 years 5 months ago

shouldn't I theoretically be able to remove the L2 connection from the router, connect it to the 3750, configure it as a routed port, and then run my routing protocols over it?

Yes.

Overall Rating: 5 (2 ratings)
Correct Answer
Edison Ortiz Wed, 10/28/2009 - 14:58
User Badges:
  • Super Bronze, 10000 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

shouldn't I theoretically be able to remove the L2 connection from the router, connect it to the 3750, configure it as a routed port, and then run my routing protocols over it?

Yes.

John Blakley Wed, 10/28/2009 - 15:00
User Badges:
  • Purple, 4500 points or more

Thanks Edison. I thought so. :)

Correct Answer
Giuseppe Larosa Wed, 10/28/2009 - 14:59
User Badges:
  • Super Silver, 17500 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

Hello John,

short answer yes.

using an SVI you could even be able to connect both the router and the 3750 to the MAN connection.

but this could have other side effects.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Actions

This Discussion