cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

guest wlan design questions

dan.letkeman
Level 4
Level 4

I need to setup a guest wlan on a single 5508 controller. Currently all of my ap's are in h-reap mode and all in remote buildings connected via a high speed wireless wan.

The guest network could consist of 500 users in the near future, so i'm wondering what is the best way to configure the guest wlan so I don't have one big broadcast domain across my entire network?

2 Replies 2

klein425
Level 1
Level 1

The best way would be to use AP Groups which sets an SSID on a specific access point to belong to specified VLAN.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/ps10315/products_installation_and_configuration_guides_list.html (see page 6-47 for exact configuration instructions).

I'm assuming that you want guest traffic tunneled back to the controller.

Ok. I already have my ap's in ap groups (per building) and I have different vlans in each building with the same ssid company wide. I'm doing this via h-reap.

My question is how do I accomplish the same thing with the guest wlan, but without h-reap. Or do i use h-reap and just setup acl's to block the traffic? But then does web authentication work the same?

The confusion for me comes in at the controller level with the guest-wlan interface I created having to be attached to a vlan. Is this not needed to do web authentication?

Thanks,

Dan.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card