Views
Helpful
Replies

Better Qos option

Shibu1978
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All

We have now connected one of our office branch with a bundle of two E1 configured in multilink mode. management want us to implement QOS for the various traffic and reserve bandwidth for the below

1 Mbps for Avaya IP phone--voice traffic

2 Mbps for Business Applications ( Specific IP to IP communication from HO-branchoffice)

1 Mbps for File transfers, emails etc.

What is the best way to acheive the same so that i can meet all the above requirement smoothly.

Thanks in advance

Shibu

5 Replies 5

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

CBWFQ like:

policy-map sampleQoS

class VoIP

priority 1000

class BusApps

bandwidth percent 40

class class-default

bandwidth percent 20

apply to multi interface.

If you're wondering about 40 and 20 percent, this should preserve the 2:1 bandwidth ratio of those classes without the need to modify reserve bandwith. Class default will do the "etc." traffic. It's configured to not use FQ to preserve the bandwidth ratios (for CBWFQ prior to 12.4.20T). You'll also need to define class-maps for the defined classes to match the correct traffic.

Hi Joe,

Is FQ always a default QoS policy for class-default?

What will happen to etc traffic if class class-default is not included in policy-map sampleQoS?

Thanks.

Hugh

"Is FQ always a default QoS policy for class-default? "

Not 100% positive. I believe it's the default for most CBWFQ although I think the very latest HQF in 12.4T might have FIFO now as the default. For either, it would be whatever is explictly configured.

"What will happen to etc traffic if class class-default is not included in policy-map sampleQoS? "

Again, except(?) for HQF CBWFQ, there's an implicit class-default if it's not explictly defined.

Thanks for your response.

Meanwhile we have the following IOS in place.

Cisco IOS Software, 3800 Software (C3825-SPSERVICESK9-M), Version 12.3(11)T8, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc3)

Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport

Copyright (c) 1986-2005 by Cisco Systems, Inc.

Compiled Thu 06-Oct-05 06:13 by kehsiao

How about QOS with DSCP marking ? can i have some sample command as listed above in u r post.

Thanks

Shibu

You do realize that DSCP markings only make sense if they are to be used later on? However, believe with your 12.3T release (which if you have maintainence you might want to upgrade to 12.4), you can use the "set dscp" (might be "set ip dscp" under each policy-map class statement. Normally you would set VoIP to DSCP EF, routine traffic to DSCP BE and perhaps your critical business apps to DSCP AF21.

e.g.

policy-map sampleQoS

class VoIP

set dscp EF

priority 1000

class BusApps

set dscp AF21

bandwidth percent 40

class class-default

set dscp BE (or 0)

bandwidth percent 20

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: