cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RIM (Blackberries), iPhones, Nokia's and Sony Mobiles. Connecting to Guest.

kfarrington
Level 3
Level 3

Hello,

Is there a way to stop RIM (Blackberries) and iPhones, Nokia's and Sony from connecting to the guest network as they hog IP addresses?

I would like to do some "range" mac filtering or sommat, but only for iphones, and rim, and mobile devices, but not to stop apple ibooks etc etc We could use NAT to also alleviate the problem i suppose.

And a lot of these mobile devices appear twice as they dis-associate and then re-associate and there are redundant Anchor WLCs.

It is painful. Any Ideas guys?

Many thx

Ken

2 Replies 2

ericgarnel
Level 7
Level 7

Yes, it is painful. Unfortunately, there really isn't an easy solution in regards to preventing them from connecting on an open network. The last time I checked, there were at least 12 different mac-address ranges for the iphone, and that was before the 3gs came out!

Nat will help a lot! we use a 16bit address range for our wireless. I have also reserved 20 addresses outside of the scope that go thru a pair of PIXes and have static mappings & translations with ip any any for the infrequent requests for port-cut thru.

Here is a one-line that you can use for ISC-DHCP servers that can give you an indication of just how many "Iphone" users are pulling leases.

cat /var/db/dhcpd/dhcpd.leases | grep iPhone | awk '!($0 in a) {a[$0];print}' | wc -l

Subsitute Iphone for whatever for other devices

Many thx indeed. I will give this a go and many thanks for your input Eric.

Kind regards,

Ken

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: