Views
Helpful
Replies

IP Communicator problem

js
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I got a small problem with IP Communicator. It basically works fine but for some reason when I call an extension, like 1002, which is a physical IP Phone, they can't hear me. But if they speak I do hear them.

Weird thing is that if I call the secondary number, which is a e.164 number of extension 1002, I'm able to talk and they will hear me. Also calling to a cellphone works just fine with IP Communicator. Only problem is calling to extensions with IP Communicator.

Anyone have a clue how to fix this? Or what's causing this?

Thanks in advance,

Grant

6 Replies 6

Brandon Buffin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Very likely a routing issue. If you put the PC with IPC on the same network/subnet as the physical phone, does it work?

Brandon

No.

Could it be a VLAN issue? Because I have VLAN 1 for Access VLAN and VLAN 200 for Voice VLAN. Since my PC is on VLAN 1, I'm guessing that's causing the problem.

If so, is there a way to fix this?

Thanks,

Grant

Could be a problem with inter-VLAN routing. Try putting the PC in the voice VLAN and making the call as a test.

Brandon

Your IP communicator is using access VLAN configured on port (not a voice vlan). So it's an access-list somewhere causing one-way audio.

Fixed my issue. I added a static route to my PC to reach the 10.1.1.0 network, which is the DHCP. At first I wasn't able to ping a IP Phone from my pc, but now I am.

I guess no VLAN issues.

Is adding a static route to every pc that is going to use IP Communicator a good way to solve this problem or is there a better way to do this?

Everyone, thank you for your replies.

Grant

A better option would be to add a route to your default gateway so that it knows how to get to the 10.1.1.0 network. Less work and less room for error.

Brandon