cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

NAT config

oneirishpollack
Level 1
Level 1

My company has a /24 global address. The NAT/PAT was setup to translate approx. 60 addresses per subnet using NAT, and then “failover” (is that the right terminology) to PAT. So we have something like what I have below:

Engineering (subnet 10.7.7.0) --- (Global Pool 7) NAT 189.23.24.60 - 189.23.24.150, PAT 189.23.24.151

Marketing (subnet 10.7.8.0) - (Global Pool 8) NAT 189.23.24.152 - 189.23.24.225, PAT 189.23.24.226

Can you tell me how common of a configuration the one-to-one mapping with a PAT “failover” or catchall is?

How about from the perspective of resource utilization on the ASA 5510. Is it more work for it to do PAT vs. NAT?

When the ASA looks at the global pool, does it always pull from the NAT before it used the PAT address? That would seem logical, but I wasn't sure if you added the PAT into the pool first, before the range, if it would disregard the range all together.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Can you tell me how common of a configuration the one-to-one mapping with a PAT “failover” or catchall is?

It's not common, but most firms don't have a /24 so just a PAT is more common.

How about from the perspective of resource utilization on the ASA 5510. Is it more work for it to do PAT vs. NAT?

Pretty much the same.

When the ASA looks at the global pool, does it always pull from the NAT before it used the PAT address?

Yes, it grabs a full NAT until they are all gone, then it uses the PAT address.

Hope it helps.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

It's not common, but most firms don't have a /24 so just a PAT is more common.

Pretty much the same.

When the ASA looks at the global pool, does it always pull from the NAT before it used the PAT address?

Yes, it grabs a full NAT until they are all gone, then it uses the PAT address.

Hope it helps.

You are awesome.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card