Helpful
Replies

OSPF Vs Eigrp

joe.marcelo9
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

EIGRP is proprietary of Cisco.

Looking for Good Practical Comparision reasons in selecting between OSPF Vs EIGRP.

5 Replies 5

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Joe,

Here is a link to Jeff Doyle comparison of EIGRP Vs OSPF.

http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/16276

HTH

Reza

sachinraja
Level 9
Level 9

attaching a very good note on the comparison which i picked up from internet... might be really useful when selecting eigrp or ospf.. most of the advantages point towards eigrp, but it all depends on what you need out of your network ...

Raj

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Well, the #1 practical comparison issue, is the one you're already aware of "EIGRP is proprietary of Cisco."

Even if you intend to stay strictly Cisco, using a routing protocol that doesn't preclude easy utilization of Brand X can sometimes help when making additional Cisco purchases. I.e. makes your bargaining position somewhat better.

Lots of good information in the references provided by the other posters. Perhaps a few minor corrections/clarifications might be needed within Rajagopal's reference doc.

BTW, not every vendor's OSPF implementation is nearly as good Cisco's. They have lots of subtle techniques in how they support OSPF.

Didn't Cisco license EIGRP to run on other vendors' routers?

Not that I know of, but if they did, perhaps someone else will mention who else has it.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card