cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

On 4507, I can't get new image identified in "bootvar"

news2010a
Level 3
Level 3

Hi, I am aiming to make 4507 boot from new image. Do you know what is wrong below? See that I set my new image correctly on "boot system", but the new image name is not reflected when I do the "show bootvar". Any ideas?

MY4507(config)#boot system flash:cat4500-entservicesk9-mz.122-50.SG1.bin

MY4507(config)#end

MY4507#show boot

% Ambiguous command: "show boot"

MY4507#show bootvar

BOOT variable = bootflash:cat4500-entservicesk9-mz.122-40.SG.bin,12;flash:cat4500-entservicesk9-mz.122-40.SG.bin,12;

CONFIG_FILE variable does not exist

BOOTLDR variable does not exist

Configuration register is 0x2102

Standby BOOT variable = bootflash:cat4500-entservicesk9-mz.122-40.SG.bin,12;flash:cat4500-entservicesk9-mz.122-40.SG .bin,12;

Standby CONFIG_FILE variable does not exist

Standby BOOTLDR variable does not exist

7 Replies 7

Jerry Ye
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Did you do wri mem? Do that and check again.

Regards,

jerry

After doing 'wri mem', I see the new IOS was appended to the variable. However, the first variable is still the old one. I believe that based on the below, the old image would still be the one selected if I power cycle the device...

#show bootvar

BOOT variable = bootflash:cat4500-entservicesk9-mz.122-40.SG.bin,12;flash:cat4500-entservicesk9-mz.122-40.SG.bin,12;flash:cat4500-entservicesk9-mz.122-50.SG1.bin,12;flash:,12;

CONFIG_FILE variable does not exist

BOOTLDR variable does not exist

Configuration register is 0x2102

Pull both out and put them in the order you want them in the config , it is read from the top down so input the 12.2.50 boot statement first.

Hi.

I remember that in CatOS we had the "prepend" option when defining a new boot image. It would be great if that could be made to work in IOS as well...

Regards, Ingolf

Yup I liked that feature in catos . Catos had a lot features that was faster and easier to implement than some of the equivalent IOS commands.

clattin
Level 1
Level 1

I played with 3 4510r's one weekend trying to get them upgraded safely... I found that the systems would only boot from the first image in flash. So I formatted flash and uploaded the new one first, than the second / current IOS image following. I hoped that the bootloader would skip the first if there were any problems. I recommend you swap flash chips unless your boot loader supports multiple images. I had the boot variable set correctly, but didn't ever get the system to boot from the new/second image, even when I removed the old IOS from the boot variable.

It wouldn't boot right because default from the factory the config register is set at 0x2101 which means boot from the first file found in bootflash or flash. All that needed to be done is set the config register at 0x2102 and it will boot the images according to the order of your boot statements and you can have as many images as will fit in bootflash.

quote:

played with 3 4510r's one weekend trying to get them upgraded safely... I found that the systems would only boot from the first image in flash. So I formatted flash and uploaded the new one first, than the second / current IOS image following. I hoped that the bootloader would skip the first if there were any problems. I recommend you swap flash chips unless your boot loader supports multiple images. I had the boot variable set correctly, but didn't ever get the system to boot from the new/second image, even when I removed the old IOS from the boot variable.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card