cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Why modular IOS for 6500

nawas
Level 4
Level 4

can someone convince why modular IOS is better than the binary for 6500s sup720?

I've read documentation tells some cool features about the modular IOS

but I also read that people have had issues like high CPU with the modular IOS.

I've also noticed that safe harbor IOS only available in modular IOS.

Thoughts?

3 Replies 3

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I'm not sure it has caught on all that much yet. Its a fairly steep learning curve and most people don't have a lot of time to figure it out . I don't know anyone myself that is using it yet though I'm sure there are few out there that may chime in here.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Modular IOS started with a very good concept. You download the IOS and if there are any patches or upgrades, you don't need to download the entire IOS, you just download the patch and load it.

Then the marketing and promotion stopped. Modular IOS is still currently being supported but the uptake is very, very slow. Some people within Cisco themselves doesn't bother promoting the value of it.

Quite right, Leo.

The interesting thing is that as far as I know of Cisco will _only_ have modular IOS for e.g. Cat6500 series going forward from SXI, so unless these plans are changed it loks like we all have to get used to the modular IOS.

The concept sound fine that you can avoid restarting the whole software complex if you only have to patch a single feature, but it might be that Cisco have problems making it work correctly.

HTH, Ingolf

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco