cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Linksys WRVS4400 QuickVPN and Windows 7

macbeck22
Level 1
Level 1

I own a Linksys WRVS4400 and have used it for sometime with the QuickVPN client.  I have now added two computers running Windows 7, a 32bit and 64bit version.  I am running the latest versions of firmware and QuickVPN software but can not get it to connect in Windows7.  The software will load but hangs at "Verifying Network" before it times out.  I realize that I am not the only person with this issue and am a little concerned that Cisco does not offer a version that is Windows 7 compatible.  This is a critical issue and may cause me to investigate other hardware options. 

Is it possible to use a third party client to connect to the router though QuickVPN?  Is there possibly a beta version of a new Cisco client that may work with Windows 7?

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

54 Replies 54

jestowe
Level 1
Level 1

Sir,

Thank you for visiting the Cisco Community Forum,

If everything has been working correctly until the installation of Windows 7, it may be related to the Windows firewall blocking ICMP requests directed at that PC.

Here is a quote on allowing PING to the PC:

"Control Panel --> System and security --> Windows Firewall --> Advanced settings --> Inbound rules --> New rule --> custom rule

in Protocol and ports: Protocol: ICMPv4
on the same panel go to customize, choose "Specific ICMP types", check the box "echo request"

next... next... and save it." http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7network/thread/5aff5f8d-f138-4c9a-8646-5b3a99f1cae6

Thanks,

Jeff.

Jeff,

I raelly appreciate your quick response to my question.  I went through the steps to create the new rule on my Windows 7 PC.  I am able to ping my domain as I was always able to.  When I open the QuickVPN client (v1.3.0.3) it will be connecting but always hangs at "Verifying Network".  Should this version work with Windows 7?  Looking at other posts such as https://www.myciscocommunity.com/message/20474;jsessionid=C06B7E323D68B806A665A070F2790101.node0 it seems that the client may not work.

Tks!

-Malcolm

I am using Norton Internet Security 2010 for my software firewall, not the native firewall in Windows 7.  Can you recommend what I need to set up in NIS 2010?

This had been working fine from my XP laptop, but since installing Win7 on the laptop, I get the same problem described here.  The router shows it as connected, but the client Win7 laptop is hung on "Verifying Network".  Then "the remote gateway it not responding.  Do you want to wait."  If you say yes, it continues to hang on "verifying network".

As far as your situation at the moment, Cisco does not support Windows 7 with the quickvpn utility.  Have you tried the fix that was posted previously to your post and give that an opportunity to work.  At the moment I don't have an ETA  on when windows 7 will be supported with the quickvpn utility.

Yes, but it didn't work.

Yeah i apologize, but as of yet we don't have the quickVPN working with windows 7.  We are waiting for the design team to release the firmware.  Sorry for the inconvenience.

Is there some way we will be notified when support for Win7 will be available?

...Rich

Check the forums or the cisco site for an update.  I am sure someone will state something on the forum about the release.

When is Cisco going to get a clue a start supporting 64bit, it's not a passing fad.

What is the ETA on when it WILL be working?  I really need it to be working before January 2010!!! Is there a possibility of having an updated firmware for the RVS4000 router (and all other small business routers) that works with the native Windows 7 VPN networking?

I'm bumping this to get an update.  I have Win7 64 bit and can't even run the installer for QuickVPN.  This is my last app that's causing me to hold onto an XP VM for the sole purpose of being able to VPN to my home network.

Otherwise, can someone provide a workaround or alternative VPN app that I can use on Win7 to get into my 4400 VPN router?

Hi guys,

Check out this posting as well.  Well worth a look at using the native IPSec client in windows 7.  Just wish I had a powerful enough PC that would accept  windows 7 so i could validate the procedure in the posting below;  Even though the posting mentions RV042, it sure is worth a go to try it for the WRVS4400N

https://www.myciscocommunity.com/docs/DOC-13592#cf

The New Quick VPN  client version 1.4.0.5 has been posted to the Cisco Software  Center.
Support for Windows  Vista and Windows 7 (32-bit and 64-bit) is available in this  release.
Users can download  the new client software by creating a CCO  account on Cisco.com.
The Free and  Anonymous downloads will be available in the next few days.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: