cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Question on if our policy-map is working.

UCcomp2007
Level 2
Level 2

Attached is an output from show policy-map interface for our WAN router. I see that traffic desired is being matched in each of the classes, but it looks like there is no queueing at all.I say this as under queueing section for each class the below appears

(pkts matched/bytes matched) 0/0

I expected to see some statistics that packets were actually queued.

Please review attached. What would be another way that I can verify that the policy is working and traffic will be queued when needed.

the output was taken right after a clear counters, then i ran again after a minute (both outputs in attached).

Thanks in advance,

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Daniel,

What's the type of your wan interface? Did your wan interface get congestion while doing a show policy-map command?

Toshi

View solution in original post

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You'll only see queuing matched when packets are queued. It looks to me this might be attached to a DS3 with only about 5 Mbps average traffic in the last 5 minutes. If this is correct, it's not surprising that no packets have been actually queued.

BTW, router interfaces also have their own FIFO hardware queues. Only when these overflow does software queuing happen. So it's also possible, even if there are occasional 100% utilization bursts, they don't engage the software queues. (NB: For effective QoS, you sometimes need to manually decrease the hardware FIFO queue to get the traffic proiritized by the software queues.)

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Daniel,

What's the type of your wan interface? Did your wan interface get congestion while doing a show policy-map command?

Toshi

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You'll only see queuing matched when packets are queued. It looks to me this might be attached to a DS3 with only about 5 Mbps average traffic in the last 5 minutes. If this is correct, it's not surprising that no packets have been actually queued.

BTW, router interfaces also have their own FIFO hardware queues. Only when these overflow does software queuing happen. So it's also possible, even if there are occasional 100% utilization bursts, they don't engage the software queues. (NB: For effective QoS, you sometimes need to manually decrease the hardware FIFO queue to get the traffic proiritized by the software queues.)

Thanks to both. The type of interface is an ATM (DS3).

Regards,

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card