cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HELP 881w AP801 problems

brparker
Level 1
Level 1

So first I did a dumb thing and I know this. I was upgrading the images on the router to the latest and greatest and also wanted to upgrade the AP inside it. I wasn't paying attention to the fact that the new AP image was LWWAP rather than autonomous which is was before. well long story short the AP is now nonfunctional and I can't even seem to get into anymore.

at first I was able to get into the unit using the "service-module wlan-ap 0 reset bootloader" command then doing "service-module wlan-ap 0 session". I wanted to wipe the flash and start over from scratch so I erased the flash and set the environment variables to my network and was able to tftp the autonomous image ( ap801-k9w7-tar.124-10b.JDA3.tar ) back to the flash. After doing that though the ap will no longer let me connect to it.

router1#service-module wlan-ap 0 session

Trying 192.168.10.99, 2002 ...

% Connection refused by remote host

I tried issuing the "service-module wlan-ap 0 reset bootloader" command again with no luck I get the same connection refused.

At this point I am at a loss on how to restore service on this thing without having a true console to it.

If anybody has any suggestions on how to fix this I would be grateful.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

router#service-module wlan-ap 0 session

is equivalent to

router#telnet 2002

which in other words is just a reverse telnet to the 881's internal IP address, and out its (internal) line 2.

So if you get "% Connection refused by remote host" when you try it - then this almost surely just means that line 2 is left in some busy state.

So ...

router#clear line 2

Should fix the problem for now.

As to why you got into this state ... I assume that there was a previous session left lying around.

Hth,

Aaron

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

jhackett
Level 1
Level 1

I did the same thing!!! Please tell me you found a solution!!

Thanks

Matt

router#service-module wlan-ap 0 session

is equivalent to

router#telnet 2002

which in other words is just a reverse telnet to the 881's internal IP address, and out its (internal) line 2.

So if you get "% Connection refused by remote host" when you try it - then this almost surely just means that line 2 is left in some busy state.

So ...

router#clear line 2

Should fix the problem for now.

As to why you got into this state ... I assume that there was a previous session left lying around.

Hth,

Aaron

Aaron where were you 5 months ago

that is the right answer after fighting with the AP for a couple hours after I posted this message I did the clear line 2 and after some syntax issues finally got the original ap image up there and everything has been working fine ever since. I used this link to help with the syntax since most don't play in the bootloader very often

I had this same problem with a router that had an unknown config applied to it when I fished it out of a dumpster. Everything was working as designed except for my ability to service-module into the AP. I'd get "connection refused, sucka" every time and none of the suggestions from this thread had any effect. Just for kicks, I decided to give the router config a reading-through to see if I've missed anything. Sure enough, there it was. Line 2 was missing any transport-input protocols. I issued "transport-input all" on line 2 and then I was immediately able to service-module into the AP. Once I was in the AP console, it continued to insult me and poke fun at my weight problem but that's a different story.

ralbertos21
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you! It worked.

Raul

Jason P.
Level 1
Level 1

I just found myself in the same situation. The clear line 2 command didn't help in my case. There was another statement in the running config on the router that was blocking access to the embedded AP.

login block-for 300 attempts 5 within 300

Once I removed this entry (no login block-for 300 attempts 5 within 300), I was able to get the login prompt for the AP.

~Jason

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card