cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Diffrenent framing in two routers -will that cause any issues

sangee.acm
Level 1
Level 1

We have established connection between two router via STM link .Before changing the framing to SDH in my router , there were alarms in local & remote router & it was not possible to ping . Now after changing framing as per show interface the line & line protocol is up in both routers .We are able to ping each other as well .But in remote router framing is still SONET .will that cause any problem during data Xmn ?

4 Replies 4

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Sangee,

there are other devices like SDH and Sonet ADMs in the middle?

I mean there can be a device performing conversion?

SDH and Sonet are indeed very close so interoperability should be possible with some device in the middle.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

there are ADMS in the middle & as is said i m able to ping to the other router ,does it mean everything will be fine ?Will i have to change the configuration in other router as wel?I just wanted to know whether it will work fine with different framing in two routers

Hello Sangee,

because you have IP connectivity you should be fine.

ADMs in the middle may take care of needed conversions (if any is needed)

or to see it from a different point of view, each router needs to match with directly connected ADM.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Dear sir

So i hope no probs will occur in future since i am able to ping from my router to other .Sir here in INDIA our transmission systems are all SDH only then how come this other router can still function with SOnet ? do u have any idea ?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card