Programmable Park Button on SPA508 or 509 phones for pickup?

Unanswered Question
Oct 31st, 2009

Would I be able to have at least 3 park slots/buttons for the person whose call is on park, to pickup using one of the buttons on the phone?  With the Linksys One the person who is picking up the call would have to pick up the phone and dial the park extension.  Example…Park 100 or park 101 etc.... which of the SPA phones for the UC500 could be programmed to do this. And will the SPA500s have the ability to use one of its buttons for this reason?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Steven Smith Mon, 11/02/2009 - 07:26

It works a little bit different on the UC500 than LinksysOne.  On the UC500, there is a park softkey.  It will randomly pick a park slot.  The phone will tell you which slot was picked.  If you then want to retrieve the park, you dial the digits for the slot.  You can also monitor the park DN's so that you can see when one is in use and use that key to quickly pick up the call instead of dialing the number.

Since it is a monitor key, I will assume that it will work with the SPA500s, but I can't say for sure right now since they aren't currently supported with the UC500.

rickrms1966 Mon, 11/02/2009 - 11:11

Instead of using the park; What about a scenario where the receptionist answers the phone and puts the caller on hold.  Can we have it so each phone shows everyone’s extension so when that phone is put on hold, every phone in the office has that extension lit up and flashing?  So now the receptionist hits the page all button and tells the doctor, pick up on line 3 or whatever the call comes in on.

Actually now that I’m thinking about it, it’s not the extension that would need to be on the phones but the line that the calls come in on.  I’m not sure how the UC500 or the SPA phones work regarding lines or extensions and the phones.  This is what I’m trying to figure so I can make sure I can do what they want.

They are use to their old analog phones which only had 8 lines.  And they are having issues working with Park.   They are going to have 10-12 lines coming in.  They may be IPTrunking or PSTN lines.  Not sure yet.  Will they be able to do what they are asking for up top with either one?

Thank you very much for your help.

Steven Smith Mon, 11/02/2009 - 11:23

Depends on how you want this to work.  If you are expecting lots of concurrent phone calls, this could get confusing if you have multiple calls on a single line.  If you put a single line on a single button, then you need lots of buttons.  Since the call won't leave the button, you won't be able to reuse the button till that call is over.  Functionally, it isn't that different.  Say, you don't expect more than 5 calls to be on hold (actually parked) at the same time.

You can have park 1 - 5 monitor buttons on the phone.  The operator press park, says pick up on line 1, which is the first park slot.  That is blinking and waiting for someone else to pick it up.  When they do, you can reuse that line.  It is a more elegant way to do it, less buttons are occupied, and it is less confusing than multiple calls on a single button.

Could it work the same way that you want, probably.  But you will likely need sidecars to make it work.  Probably not what you are looking for.

rickrms1966 Mon, 11/02/2009 - 11:59

Thank you, that makes a lot of sense.  Back to my original post then, can the SPA508G or 509G handle 5 programmable keys?  So I could add 5 buttons with Park 1, Park 2, Park 3….Park 5 etc…on all 18 phones? 

On the chart I have for the phones it says 0 under “Programmable Soft Keys” for both the 508 and 509 phones and 12 and 8 for each respective phone for “Programmable Line Keys” What’s the difference between the two?

Also If needed,  can the SPA500S handle additional park buttons as well as speed dials?  They use a lot of speed dials at the front desk, 5 phones.  

Steven Smith Mon, 11/02/2009 - 12:07

I know that the early versions of the firmware only supported 4 lines.  I need to verify if the newer version is out, I believe that it is.

Programmable softkeys are the keys below the display that say, NewCall, Hold, Park, etc.

Line buttons, are the buttons that will light up when calls are coming in, show line status, etc.  There are 8 and 12 of those.  This is where the speed dials will also be.

The phones don't need buttons for Park.  Park is a softkey.  You can monitor a park, which does take up a line button.  And yes, you can use a SPA500s for that when it becomes supportable with the UC500, which should be soon.

rickrms1966 Tue, 01/05/2010 - 14:06

Steve,

Do you know if there are any known issues with the SPA500S side cart on the UC540 using two type of phones.  The SPA525G and the SPA508G?  thanks..