Converting IPCC Express from G.711 to G.729

Unanswered Question

Hey all… HELP!

I recently got my first request to put a call center off-site and I have ran in to a bit of an issue I never anticipated. When I set up my call center I went with G.711 prompts. Now it seems that I need G.729. I need to try to figure out if there is a way to get there from here. Do I have to re install? Once I convert, I will need to convert all of the prompts for the current 5 call centers to G.729. Does anyone know of a good program to do that? What about recording in G.729?

I am going to start googling the heck out of this issue, but any direction I can get from you guys (and gals) would be very helpful.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 4 (2 ratings)
Ayodeji oladipo... Sun, 11/01/2009 - 10:24

You can change the codec used by the system to G.729 that way you dont have to ocnvert the prompts. This though has an implication that all future prompts will be in G.729

Go to system>system parameters>Codec

select g.729

Jonathan Schulenberg Sun, 11/01/2009 - 14:35

I'm pretty sure this is incorrect. The MIVR engine only advertises one codec at a time during call setup: G.711 or G.729a. Whatever you set the parameter to is what the call will occur at. CCX does not perform transcoding so a WAV file encoded incorrectly will likely fail to play.

Ayodeji oladipo... Mon, 11/02/2009 - 00:56

I guess I got the question ion of wrong. My interpretation of it is that he has prompts recorded in G.729 and He did the system install with G.711. I do not suppose or imply that UCCX can do any form of xcoding.

Hey guys, thanks for the responses. My issue is that I have the system set up and in production for 5 local call centers. When I installed I set it up for G.711 prompts, now I have been asked to set up a remote call center. I have figured out a way to make it work but I am looking for info and expereance about converting from a G.711 set up to G.729.

My work around would be to set up the IVR ports in a partition that is local to the call center server so they can talk 711 to the media. When a call is made to one of this ports froma 729 source, the system invokes a transcoders between the caller and the port. It works, but I am trying to nail down where the XCODER comes in. I think I have it down to the side of the WAN where the call center is. It that works, I am good cause I wont be pushing a 711 stream over my WAN.

Ayodeji oladipo... Mon, 11/02/2009 - 06:32

The best practice and rule is that THE XCODER should be placed on the same side of the LAN as the devices that require xcoding resources.

In this case your IVR ports are the devices that need the xcoder cos they cant support g.729. Hence place the xcoder on the same sid eof the LAN where the IVR port is.

Jonathan Schulenberg Mon, 11/02/2009 - 12:43

Your workaround isn't a good idea but I suspect you already know this. You will destroy your CAC model and may impact all WAN calls if you put the CTI Route Point and Ports in a location other than where the CCX server physically is.

You have two options on how to proceed:

1) Convert the CCX server to use G.729a and upload all new prompts for everything.

2) Leave CCX at G.711 u-law and add transcoding resources at the site where CCX exists. This could be cost prohibitive though depending upon the call load. You would need to transcode every call that is in IVR or on hold. Because CCX is the device requiring the higher bandwidth codec, UCM will invoke a transcoder at the site of CCX.

This Discussion