cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading 3825 Router flash

winslowtravis
Level 1
Level 1

I am upgrading a 3800 series router and I need to backup the flash card and install a new one in its place. What is the command to backup the card onto my computer via tftp and then what is the procedure for putting the information on the new card when I will be in rommon mode. Thank you in advance.

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

copy flash:. tftp:

is the command the same for putting it back on the new card when i have a blank flash? sorry if i was not clear, i am more concerned with loading everything back onto the new card when i will be in rommon mode. also do i need to format the new card or is it ready to go from cisco?

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes. I can save you some time if you have a USB thumb drive (<2Gb size).

What you do is insert the USB into anyone of the two USB slots of the router. Format the USB stick (this is important) using the command format usbflash0:. Once this is done, copy all files from your flash drive to the USB thumb drive using the command copy flash:. usbflash0:.

Hope this helps.

thanks for the tip. what is the proper method to copy from the usbflash to the new rom card?

copy usbflash0: slot0:

thank you for your reponses

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card