cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What is the best way to wirelessly extend the range of a WRVS4400N V2?

davidshof
Level 1
Level 1

I have a WRVS4400N v2 acting as a gateway connected to a cable modem and am interested in extending it's range by placing a WAP4410N elsewhere in the building to cover a deadspot.  Is there a mode on the WAP to best achieve this (e.g., wireless repeater, bridge, etc.)?  I had assumed that it would be the wireless client/repeater mode, but the thread below leads me to believe otherwise, but is not labeled as resolved.

https://www.myciscocommunity.com/thread/4042;jsessionid=A235168C5FAF5BD68202DA067582CE4E.node0

As a different approach, could I extend the range of the original gateway WRVS4400N by dropping a second WRVS4400N in the deadspot and setting it to router mode?  Language in the WRVS4400N v2 administrator screens lead me to believe that I could try this but I am unclear as to whether it would work wirelessly or need to be connected to the gateway via an ethernet cable, which is what I am trying to avoid.

7 Replies 7

tgronek
Level 1
Level 1

It is the wireless client/repeater mode is the best mode for what you said you are doing.

Te-Kai Liu
Level 7
Level 7

Try to use the WDS feature of WRVS4400N v2 and configure the WAP4410N as a repeater.

Thank you both.  I have now tried setting the WAP up as first as AP Mode =  wireless client/repeater and then as AP Mode = Wireless WDS repeater, with each scenario yielding no positive results.

In the first scenario, using AP Mode = wireless client/repeater, I am unable to access either the 4400 or the 4410 wirelessly.  Specifically, I never acquire an IP address from the network.  If I am plugged into the 4400 via ethernet, access is just fine.  My network utility (Thinkvantage Access Connections) lists entries for the MAC address of each piece of hardware and when I attempt to connect to either via wireless, it never finishes securing the IP.

In the second scenario, using AP Mode = Wireless WDS repeater, I am still able to connect to the 4400 wirelessly (and out to the web), but not through the 4410, which doesn't help me fix the original deadspot issue.  For clarity, I can see both via my network utility, and I can connect to the 4410, but I am then unable to connect out.

Not sure if it's relevant, but in both cases, the 4400 is set via the WDS tab of the admin to "Allow wireless signal to be repeated by a repeater" and I have tried both automatic and manual connection modes. Following is the language from the same tab that I refered to in my original post which caused me to believe that a second 4400 dropped into the deadzone may be the best response, "Note: The WDS feature allows WRVS4400N to connect with          up to 3 wireless repeaters that can be either WRVS4400N or WAP200."  However, I don't know if the second 4400 would work wirelessly or need to be wired to the original.

I have spent quite a few hours changing settings and taking things down and back up, and any continued suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks again.

I would give the SBSC  a call at 866-606-1866 and let them go through the setup with you to ensure the steps are properly taken to get you setup.  Those wap's can be tricky sometimes. Hope this helps.

After spending an hour on the phone with support, it was determined that a known bug within the WAP4410N was preventing this WAP from being able to act as either a wireless repeater or as a wireless/client repeater.  Once unpluged from the WRVS4400N, the WAP failed to come back up to either remote wireles access or even ping.  After several attempts at changing various options within the admin screens such as channel and wireless security mode, my case number had been transferred to the Escalations Department and I am waiting to hear the next course of action.  Too much time has passed since my purchase date and I am unable to return the WAP to the original store. I am hoping Escalations will either a) provide a solution enabling the device to work wirelessly in my deadspot, or b) accept the item as a return and provide a refund.

As a follow up to my comments regarding the language in the WRVS440N's administrative screens, a second WRVS4400N cannot be used to wirelessly repeat the first WRVS4400N's signal; it must be wired to the first unit (with one unit acting as the gateway and the second unit acting as a router).  Since this also does not solve my original issue, we did not spend any time attempting to configure the dns between the two.

Thank you all.

FYI....This is still an issue for me as well....Is there a fix

available foir this yet?

You can contact our Small Business Support Center with your issue and there

may be a beta firmware that is available for this issue.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/support/tsd_cisco_small_business_support_center_contacts.html

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: