Replies

WRV200 PPTP WAN - Default GW is not pointing to tunnel

iandingiharn
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I am currently testing this WRV200.

We have a PPTP server serving IP range from 192.206.59.1/24

There is no problem with the authentication and tunnel establishment.

Just that after the tunnel is established, the default gw in WRV200 is not pointing to the tunnel, but it's still pointing to the gateway on the WAN.

Since we have chosen the WAN type to be PPTP, the default gateway should be defined on the PPTP tunnel, isn't it?

Attached is some screenshot.

Thanks!

8 Replies 8

David Carr
Level 6
Level 6

The pptp function on the wan, is for a DSL internet connection where the DSL modem has been put in bridge mode and you would need to authenicate with the ISP using a user name and password to receive an IP address.  It is not used for point the wan to a pptp server via vpn use.  Hope this helps out.

My apology i thought it was pppoe, not pptp.  Let me look into this.

iandingiharn
Level 1
Level 1

I think this is a misbehaviour on WRV200.

I have tested with another vendor product, D-Link DIR-330 and PPTP WAN connection is working fine.

Default gateway is pointing towards the PPTP tunnel.

As I think this WRV200 is already EOL.. how should I deal with it?

Thank you!

The pptp funciton is used for connections in Europe.  I would contact a local cisco representative to where your located to do some troubleshooting on this device.

Alejandro Gallego
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I am a liitle confused because of what you are asking and also the screenshots posted.

You stated that the WAN is configured for PPTP and it's gateway should be that tunnel. But the screenshot you have of the WRV does not reflec the IP scope of the PPTP server. The highlighted value would be correct as any unknown destination would be sent out the WAN interface. The router also already knows about 192.70.172.0 netwrok and it is attached to its WAN interface.

So maybe I did not fully understand your question. From what you have posted it appears that you have a WRTR connecting to the cloud via PPTP and on its LAN we have the WRV connected via its WAN port. In other words like this:

CLOUD >> PPTP conn. >> WRTR (WAN: 192.206.59.1 / LAN: 192.70.172.2) >> WRV (WAN *this is the part thats confusing / LAN: 192.168.0.1)

I guess I just dont see why the WRV would send all traffic to 192.206.59.0 when it is not a directly attached network. What problems are you encountering with your configuration?

alegalle wrote:

I am a liitle confused because of what you are asking and also the screenshots posted.

You stated that the WAN is configured for PPTP and it's gateway should be that tunnel. But the screenshot you have of the WRV does not reflec the IP scope of the PPTP server. The highlighted value would be correct as any unknown destination would be sent out the WAN interface. The router also already knows about 192.70.172.0 netwrok and it is attached to its WAN interface.

So maybe I did not fully understand your question. From what you have posted it appears that you have a WRTR connecting to the cloud via PPTP and on its LAN we have the WRV connected via its WAN port. In other words like this:

CLOUD >> PPTP conn. >> WRTR (WAN: 192.206.59.1 / LAN: 192.70.172.2) >> WRV (WAN *this is the part thats confusing / LAN: 192.168.0.1)

I guess I just dont see why the WRV would send all traffic to 192.206.59.0 when it is not a directly attached network. What problems are you encountering with your configuration?

In PPTP connection, there is no need for the gateway to be in the same subnet.

Because in the WAN setup screen, we have selected the connection type to PPTP, therefore, the default GW must be pointing to the PPTP gateway.

The same goes for PPPoE isn't it?

In the WAN setup screen, if we have selected the connection type PPPoE, the default GW must be pointing to the PPPoE gateway.

Just that in PPPoE mode, it is usually deployed over copper wires only.

For PPTP connection, we can deploy it over normal IPv4 network.

May I know what is the WRTR?

In your original post you posted two screenshots. wrv1 is a screenshot of the status page of a WRTR Linksys router, wrv2 is a screenshot of the route table of what could be a WRV Linksys router.

PPTP WAN connections may not need the GW to be in the same subnet but PPPoE connections do require the GW on the same subnet. Both types of connections are deployed over "copper" and for the most part, ISPs are still using IPv4 addressing to client sites. As far as know IPv6 is only being widely used out in the cloud where all the Big Routers live.

I dont mean to come accross rude, but I am still not sure what the main problem really is. If you could, please post a simple diagram of your network and let us know what the goal of the setup is and what is failing.

iandingiharn
Level 1
Level 1

Both wrv1 and wrv2 is taken from a WRV200 Wireless-G VPN Router with RangeBooster.

It is running firmware 1.0.39.

Not sure why it's showing WRTR in the hardware version, but I'm sure it's a WRV200.

I don't have any tool to draw the diagram right now, but the goal is to create a PPTP WAN type connection where it is the default route for all the traffic as well, so all user traffic will be routed through the tunnel. I shall try to draw one when I have access to Visio later.

Thanks!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: