Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to get I/O memory statistics of lan switches and routers via snmp

Hi,

we want to observe the memory utilization of several switches and routers in cacti. While implementing the OIDs of process and I/O memory in cacti we found out that especially the I/O memory is placed in different memory instances on different switches/routers.

Does anybody know the reason for this differences and if there is any documentation about using memory instances for I/O on the different switch and router models?

We also saw two 7206 routers running different feature sets using different memory instances:

Router 1: Processor(1), I/O(2), Transient(11)

Router 2: Processor(1), I/O(3)

Many thanks in advance,

Thorsten

5 Replies 5

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The dynamic pool type is set depending on the architecture. Some devices use PCI memory for I/O while others have a specific I/O pool. You will always see the same type of pools on the same platforms. Therefore, you will have to create separate cacti templates for each platform type to monitor all memory pools.

If on same platforms same pool types are used do you know the reason why two 7206VXR with different IOS feature sets use different memory pools?

7206VXR router 1 (Advanced IP Services): Processor(1), I/O(2), Transient(11)

7206VXR router 2 (Service Provider 3DES): Processor(1), I/O(3)

There must be different hardware in these two 7206s. What are the NPE/NSE models in each?

You are correct.

One is a 7204VXR, the second a 7206VXR.

May this be the reason for the different memory pools?

Both use a NPE-G2.

Yes, different models, and different processing hardware may contain different pools.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco