Views
Helpful
Replies

1142 above the ceiling tile

klein425
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings everyone,

I have a situation where the customer purchased 1142 access points and now decided that they don't want them mounted below the ceiling tile (on the grid). This is a college housing environment so they've had issues with things being damaged, like smoke detectors and exit signs.

I haven't done the survey yet but I just want to make sure that there aren't any issues that might be a show stopper. Like putting this access point above ceiling tile and causing a fire code issue.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Tony,

You should be good to go with the Ap's mounted above the ceiling tiles :) Keep them away from the students.

Compliance

The 1140 series access point complies with UL 2043 for products installed in a building's environmental air handling spaces, such as above suspended ceilings.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/1140/quick/guide/ap1140getstart.html#wp33692

Hope this helps!

Rob

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Tony,

You should be good to go with the Ap's mounted above the ceiling tiles :) Keep them away from the students.

Compliance

The 1140 series access point complies with UL 2043 for products installed in a building's environmental air handling spaces, such as above suspended ceilings.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/1140/quick/guide/ap1140getstart.html#wp33692

Hope this helps!

Rob

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I would like to add, if you are installing the APs yourself you may want to build in extra cost (time) for mounting above the tiles. Also you may want to ask about asbestos concerns.

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

rdzienis
Level 1
Level 1

CADDY ERICO makes 8 inch height adjustable ceiling grid bracket (hanger)which clips above the grid, snaps on, perfect for what you are trying to do, cuts the install time

Thanks for the additional responses! We were going to use the grid brackets you are talking about but the ceiling tiles have the tin (or some similar metal), lining the top of the tile. This really hurt the signal. I am swapping the AP's out with 1242's and the AIR-ANT5959 antennas. I'm not concerned with 5GHz since it doesn't penetrate concrete at all.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card