Helpful
Replies

Wireless User Tracking

mserranocisco
Level 1
Level 1

LMS 3.2 (W2003).

No idea about WLSE, WLC or AP's, sorry :-(

We have done a discovery, ignoring AP. They say that MAC's from wireless clients are seen from switches as a hub or switch no Cisco, and they want to see it as a UT, with their IP and MAc address from AP, is that right???

I don't know if the resolution is possible because of no idea about AP...

9 Replies 9

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If you have standalone APs, then you can enable wireless user tracking directly from the APs under Campus Manager > Admin > User Tracking > Acquisition. This is enabled by default. If you have a WLSE, you can disable direct acquisition from APs, then make sure your WLSEs are in DCR with correct HTTP credentials, and Campus will automatically synchronize those users.

If, however, you are using WLC/WCS with LWAPPs, then LMS management will not be possible. Those wireless users will show up, but they will show up as being connected to the wired switch to which the LWAPPs connect (unless trunking is used, then they may not show up at all).

Thanks for all.

But what they want, and it seems it doesn't do, is to show up the wireless client as being connected to the wired switch, at least, it is what I understand they want.

You'll need to provide more information, then. As I said, this will only happen in LWAPP case if the switch ports are not configured for trunking. If they are configured for trunking, then you will have to configure User Tracking to acquire end hosts on those trunk ports. This is also done under Campus Manager > Admin > User Tracking > Acquisition.

The scenario is this: they don't have LWAPP and they have a WLSE, so we have APs exclude from DCR in LMS Common Services and, in user tracking acquisition, we have unchecked the option "enable user tracking in access points".

The strange thing is that APs' MAC addresses don't show up in the User Tracking as a device connected to a switch! What is the reason of this behaviour?

Also, we have WLSE added to our DCR and SNMP community configured in DCR credentials. Is mandatory to configure HTTP/HTTPS user and password as well?

Many thanks.

As I said, if the APs are connected to switches via trunk ports, then UT will not acquire users on those ports, you need to allow trunk port acquisition on those ports.

Yes, it is required to add HTTP credentials to DCR for your WLSEs if you want the Wireless end user report to work.

Hi, finally, we created user and configured HTTP, but nothing happens.

See attached file, please.

You're missing the important connection mode and port number values in DCR.  This is required for HTTP connectivity to work.  Additionally, WLSE end hosts will not show up in the standard UT end hosts report.  Instead, you need to run the wireless end hosts report under Campus Manager > User Tracking > Reports > Report Generator.

Thanks for the advice!

I've tried to modify it, but I get:

"internal error in communication chanel"

I've been looking for this error in forum, but I haven't found the resolution.

No success after restarting :-(

That could be my newly discovered bug CSCtd07131.  I wrote  patch which you can get from the TAC.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: