cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CiscoWorks LMS 3.1

ncharaipotra
Level 1
Level 1

Which tool within CiscoWorks can help me pull performance information on interfaces on my core switch. Would that be the Internetwork performance monitor?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

No. IPM measures service level performance by putting additional traffic on the network, then measuring the round-trip response time or the traffic as well as the availability of the target. It will not show you individual interface performance information in the sense of utilization of bandwidth.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

No, that would be the Health and Utilization Monitor add-on. A 90-day eval of HUM 1.1 comes with LMS 3.1. With it, you can poll CPU, memory, interface utilization, and error stats from your devices.

So besides the HUM, there is no other tool that can be used within CiscoWorks?

No. IPM measures service level performance by putting additional traffic on the network, then measuring the round-trip response time or the traffic as well as the availability of the target. It will not show you individual interface performance information in the sense of utilization of bandwidth.

Thanks for your help!

how do I determine if my CiscoWorks server has HUM?

From the LMS Installing and Getting Started Guide:

To verify from the CiscoWorks Home Page main screen:

Step 1 Select Common Services > Server > Home Page Admin > Application Registration.

The Application Registration Status page appears.

Step 2 Check the Registered Applications table.

If LMS 3.2 is upgraded successfully, the following application versions will be listed:

• CiscoView 6.1

• RME 4.3

• Campus Manager 5.2

• Device Fault Manager 3.2

• Internetwork Performance Monitor 4.2

• Health and Utilization Monitor 1.2

Application Registration Status page displays only the major version of the product. See the Software

Updates page on Common Services to know the version with patch levels for all applications.

Currently running LMS 3.0.1. Need to be running 3.1 to get HUM?

No - HUM 1.0 was included with LMS 3.0. See http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/docs/net_mgmt/ciscoworks_lan_management_solution/3.0.1/readme/windows/guide/lms30_dec_2007_update_win.html#wp1103383

However - do you really want to run a 1.0 release of something on top of an x.0.1 release? LMS 3.0 to 3.2 is a free upgrade and includes a plethora of bug fixes and enhancements. Once on 3.2, you can also be on HUM 1.2: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/docs/net_mgmt/ciscoworks_health_and_utilization_monitor/1.2/release/notes/humrn12.html

Hope this helps.

Actually, HUM 1.0 was included with LMS 3.0.1, not the 3.0 DVD. I agree, though, that one should upgrade now to LMS 3.2, especially for a greenfield installation.