SPA 525 and 504 Phone Issue

Unanswered Question
Nov 2nd, 2009

We have approximately 30 SPA525G and 504 phones deployed at a customer site.  Experiencing a number of issues with the phones locking up during a call.  The display is still lit and call appears to be active (timer) but the call is disconnected and then do dial tone.  The only way to get the phones back up is to reboot them.

Firmware on phones:

525 = 7.2.5

504 = 7.3.7

Sho ephone phone-load shows a number of Cold+DhcpFailed

Phones are connected to UC520 and ESW switches.

System image file is "flash:uc500-advipservicesk9-mz.124-22.YB4

TAC case just opened as well.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Average Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Steven DiStefano Mon, 11/02/2009 - 15:43

I just researched something interesting to contribute here....

Please let me call to your attention that the latest FW for these phones in the UC520EA pack and the new default release for UC540 are:

525 - 7.1.9
5x5 - 7.1.3C

I noticed yours are different.....

Steve

john@diggrp.com Mon, 11/02/2009 - 16:11

Those were the versions we had previously with the same issues.  We upgraded the firmware in an effort to resolve the issues we were having.  TAC was unable to find anything to resolve this issue at this point.  Are other admins having similiar issues?

mdube@progel.ca Tue, 11/03/2009 - 12:13

Am running into some issues too with the 525 phones.

Contacted Marcos a few weeks ago to get a beta firmware (7.2.35) yet still having issues where the phone would simply freeze.

Tried to contact Marcos and others from Cisco about this as I don't think TAC will support beta firmwares but haven't heard from them still...

Maybe someone will answer here ;)

But don't worry John, you are not alone living this... hopefully they'll fix the issues in the next firmware, but if next one is the beta I have, we'll have to wait for another one.

Steven Smith Thu, 11/05/2009 - 08:08

There are a few CDETs for phones freezing for 2 known reasons.  We hope to have a new software image available very soon.

mdube@progel.ca Thu, 11/05/2009 - 11:06

That's great news! If you need people to test the new firmware whenever it's in beta phase, I'm in!

Shaun Bender Tue, 04/06/2010 - 07:44

We have a very similar issue with phones rebooting during a call or just even picking the handset up.  We are running 7.4.4 on SPA525G phones in wired and wireless modes connected to a UC540 running 15.0(1)XA2.  Currently have a TAC case open for almost 30 days with little, to no help, actually having issues with them even responding with "any" type of update/notification.

We put in place a 7941 and 7925, and those phones work perfect.

Did your issue ever get resolved?

sethschmautz Tue, 04/06/2010 - 09:19

Hi Shaun,

My personal 525 was doing the same thing a while ago, and TAC ended up authorizing a replacement of the handset.  I haven't had a problem since that time with my handsets...however, I was just informed that a colleague of mine in the office here is starting to have the same problem.  I might try to move forward on getting that handset replaced and see if that helps.  TAC couldn't figure out why ours was rebooting either...

Seth

Shaun Bender Tue, 04/06/2010 - 09:25

Hi Seth,

That was our first thought, so we did that, replaced two of the units---same issues.

We're thinking about going down the road of having our units--actually entire system replaced each month.  Maybe that might get Cisco's attentions and have our issue(s) resolved.

-Shaun

pro4ianyc Mon, 08/23/2010 - 06:42

Did you find a resolution to this?

It looks like my latest UC540 deployment is experiencing a similar issue.. there's been reports of 3-4 SPA504G phones randomly freezing...

Steven Holl Mon, 08/23/2010 - 07:21

I would see if the issue is still seen in the latest firmware, 7.4.6.  If it is, collect this information during an issue and open a TAC case:

debug ephone detail mac

debug ip tcp trans

debug voip ccapi inout

Collect a packet capture of traffic going to the phone via SPAN on the local switch, too.  Setup a ring buffer in the wireshark capture so that it can be stopped when the issue occurs.

These aren't remote phones, are they?  Packet loss on TCP/2000 could cause this.

-Steve

pro4ianyc Mon, 08/23/2010 - 08:27

Yes this is with the latest software package UC540-8.0.2.  Curious if anyone else is experi

encing this issue..

not remote phones either.

sethschmautz Mon, 08/23/2010 - 08:38

Our problem has not disappeared completely.  My own phone which has been replaced by Cisco does this occaisionally - freezing, or sometimes rebooting in the middle of a call.  Frustrating, for sure.  The problem is that it happens maybe 2 or 3 times a month, so it's difficult to catch and I can't reproduce it.  There are several other users in our office that have the same problem.  Please let me know if you find out anything.

Shaun Bender Mon, 08/23/2010 - 13:43

We had very similar issues, after weeks dealing with TAC, actually SBCS support, they finally sent me this code version:

spa525g-7-5-1-010-g1.bin

So far things have been very smooth after this code change.

Steven Holl Mon, 08/23/2010 - 08:49

That software package doesn't have the latest 525 firmware.  That has 7-4-4, and the latest is 7-4-6.  You can get it from the IP Telephony download page under the small business phones section.

I'm not saying we can't troubleshoot on 7-4-4 if you can get that output, but since other phones don't exhibit the issue, it does seem to point to a firmware issue, hence getting on the latest is a wise proactive step while you wait for the issue to recur.

nsn-amagruder Wed, 01/12/2011 - 13:28

I am having the same issue with 8.0.2 and firmware 7.4.4.  Customer says phone disconnects in the middle of the call.  2 525G's already replaced.  Opening a Case with SMB Support now.  Anyone found a resolution yet?

Shaun Bender Wed, 01/12/2011 - 13:34

We've been running "spa525g-7-4-4-M05-g1.bin" for the phones for several months, *appears* to have been doing good so far. I'm not sure if anything newer is out. Running "Version 15.0(1)XA3a" on a uc540.  I know a new IOS is out, but we have some odd issues with that for night-bell service. However, on the phones we had tons of issues of units rebooting, or locking during a reboot, you name it, didn't matter if it was wired or wireless.

Thomas Gruendler Wed, 01/12/2011 - 13:51

We are also having the same issue with a UC560 / 3 ESW-24's and the 525G phones.  Same lockup and reboot issue.  Have had a case open with SB Support for over a week and they are coming up with nothing.  Running the latest IOS Cisco IOS Software, UC500 Software (UC500-ADVIPSERVICESK9-M), Version 15.1(2)T2, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1) from 8.1.0 and 7.4.7 firmware.  Only a few of the phones are locking up but it is really hard to duplicate the issue because it is so random so running a debug is really hard.  Anybody have any thoughts?

nsn-amagruder Wed, 01/12/2011 - 14:01

Good to know this issue has been happening since atleast March 2008 and Cisco hasn't resolved it in their new firmware releases. 

Shaun,

Were your reboots consistent and spa525g-7-4-4-M05-g1.bin has resolved the issue to date?

Shaun Bender Wed, 01/12/2011 - 15:10
@nsn-amagruder
I would say the only consistent issue was the phones rebooting at random times, could never track it down, even after a few weeks/months of logging, nothing.
However, once "spa525g-7-4-4-M05-g1.bin" was loaded things became smooth, the random reboots--haven't seen those in months(at least no one has told me).  I'm really nervous about any code/config changes to that unit.  Just seems like a really *unstable* unit.  However, on the other side, people have *said* they have never had any issues with it. But then once again, they could be doing a very, very, very simple config.
daviddun Wed, 01/12/2011 - 14:05

Tom,

Did you look at the firmware on the switch.

I would check it to eliminate any issues with it

Dan Smith Tue, 02/01/2011 - 15:47

Currently we have a UC560 that had one phone with this issue, rebooting randomly. It is a SPA525G. We assumed it was a problem with that phone, switch port, cable, ext.... We RMA'd the phone and it continues to do the same thing. I just received an email from the customer that one of the other SPA525 phones is now doing the same thing (in the middle of an important conference call). They have SPA525G and SPA508G phones.The problem so far has been only with the SPA525 phones. This is a HUGE problem. They are running a combination of newer IOS and older CUE because their UC560 was affected badly by the CUE memory leak issue. I am not going to open a tac case on this as there is no troubleshooting we can go though in real time. I need confirmation as to whether this is a hardware issue, firmware issue or what because my customer is ready to throw the system out the window and they're not joking.

Shaun Bender Tue, 02/01/2011 - 15:56

@ Dan Smith

Hey welcome to our world man. .... But seriously we had been in the same boat, just tons of issues(i.e. random reboots or locking) and a horrid time trying to get any resolution from Cisco TAC(well not really TAC in the sense if you had to deal with routers/switches) about it.

I would suggest trying to get this code for the phones:

spa525g-7-4-4-M05-g1.bin

We've been running that for months now and things "appear" smooth.  However, we're not running CUE.

Regards.

Dan Smith Tue, 02/01/2011 - 16:27

Thanks, I'm in the process of trying to get that firmware version. In the mean time I would love to hear from someone from Cisco on the issue.

Steven DiStefano Tue, 02/01/2011 - 17:11

I would go to CCO and download FW version 7-4-7. Then drag and drop it from your desktop to the UC560 icon in topology view. Then reset the phone so it takes the new FW.

This is an older thread, and not sure I saw the SW pack the UC560 is running, but I like 8.1.0. Use CCA 3.0 as well.

Steve

Shaun Bender Tue, 02/01/2011 - 17:19

@ Steven DiStefano

Was the "random" reboot issue ever resolved?  We never received any response to what the issue actually was or what could / would be causing the issue. So we've been sitting on older code.   And, with CCA we never used it due to issues with CCA not being able to support certain features that CLI could. Do you know if this has been resolved in CCA 3.x? 

Thanks.

Message was edited by: Shaun Bender (edit: formatting issue)

Steven DiStefano Tue, 02/01/2011 - 17:27

I think that would be the DNS issue and I think that is fixed in 7-4-8, and I thought we posted this?

I always upgrade after reading release notes.

What RU looking to do in CCA 3.0?

Shaun Bender Tue, 02/01/2011 - 17:33

@ Steven DiStefano

A DNS issue with phones locally connected to the unit?  Can you get me the details on this, I would love to know about this.

With CCA 3.x being able to have access to all CLI features/functions.

Thanks.

Dan Smith Tue, 02/01/2011 - 17:37

So 7-4-7 fixes the random reboot problem with the spa525 phones?????? (hint, that’s the answer I'm looking for)

nsn-amagruder Wed, 02/02/2011 - 05:50

Dan,

Cisco is running a serious of debugs waiting for our phones to lockup or unregister and re-register during the call with a 15MB debug buffer so we can catch several days of logs.  If they can't find the problem, Cisco will replace these phones with the 7900 Series by RMAing the SPA Phones.  They clearly don't work as advertised and so many customers are upset with them.

Open the TAC case so you can have proof of the issue, and when they can't solve it, work with your VCAM or local Cisco Office to have them replaced with 7900 series.

Thomas Gruendler Wed, 02/02/2011 - 06:35

Well...our issue hasn't been resolved yet and it has been over a month.  We ran debugs on 4 of the phones that were having issues and one did lock up for over a minute but was informed by TAC that nothing showed in the log for that phone.  They RMA'd one SPA525 phone to replace one of the many that are having issues to see if it fixes the issue for that one phone and if it does, we can RMA all of them.  But, if alot of deployments are having the same issue, I am not sure if I still want to go with the 525.  My client is getting to the end of her rope on this and I don't blame her.

Shaun Bender Wed, 02/02/2011 - 07:10

@ Dan Smith

To second the reply made by "nsn-amagruder", that's correct as for what we ended up doing.  Our local vendor had an "attitude" of this unit is "ok" nothing is "wrong" with it etc.  They didn't move a finger.

However, our Local Cisco Team is the one that resolved our issue, since we had the 525G's in wifi mode and those phones had to be in wireless mode due to location, Cisco Local took care of us.  I can't say the same for the local vendor we used(yes, a little hate could be read from that).

(our Cisco local team is amazing, they get a bucket of Leprechaun gold--haha)

Now, we did take the steps of talking with Cisco TAC, not really TAC in the sense of the "name" you get with other portions of TAC---maybe that has changed in the last 10-12 months??? Not sure. (could Cisco comment on that?)

Anyways, things have been doing "OK". I would never recommend using that platform, unless direct answers to the questions could be made, i.e. has the locking up and random reboot issue been resolved? Yes/No(what was the cause)? The down side is, it's really hard to make a code change and have the "fear" of is the unit "not" going being "stable" during phone calls.  Etc...

@ Thomas Gruendler

We replaced all but three 525Gs with anything from the 7900 series, heck we even got a few off eBay just for "hey let try this" thinking(that was during our random reboot phase).

Let me know what anyone finds out about the "randomness" of this platform.

Regards.

Dan Smith Wed, 02/02/2011 - 08:37

Still waiting to hear from Cisco that it is a known issue and that updated firmware will resolve it.

Thomas Gruendler Wed, 02/02/2011 - 13:28

Well...the RMA'd phone that they sent to replace one of the phones that has been rebooting took a total of 2 days to lockup and reboot.  I am at my wits end with these phones.

Dan Smith Wed, 02/02/2011 - 13:37

May I ask which firmware version you are running? I just upgraded to 7-4-7 this afternoon, I will keep everyone posted.

Thomas Gruendler Thu, 02/03/2011 - 06:28

We are running the 7.4.7 on all of the SPA phonesnow.  We were running 7.4.4 and were having the same exact issues.  Both firmwares behaving the same.

Shaun Bender Thu, 02/03/2011 - 11:44

@ Dan Smith

@ Thomas Gruendler

This is the code that I'm running on a "UC540" along with "525G" phones:

Version 15.0(1)XA3a
"uc500-advipservicesk9-mz.150-1.XA3a"

"spa525g-7-4-4-M05-g1"

You might want to see about getting those versions, I've been running that for over six months and things "appear" stable.  I know those are older code versions, however I can't change due to not knowing what the "reboot" issue was. And, Cisco has yet to say anything regarding this.

David Hornstein Fri, 02/04/2011 - 15:28

Hi Shaun,

Heck,  I wish my UC500 or SPA500 phones would randomly reboot  so i could get  Small Business Support Center (SBSC) to collect diagnostic information that may help you.

step 1.  I gotta say,  if you are having trouble with random reboots of anything, you must have opened a case with the Small Business Support Center.

great, but next step;

step 2. You have the right within the SBSC,  to ask the SBSC TAC technician  to esclate the case  or speak to the  Manager on Duty,  who can also escalate your case.  That is your right.

A  action plan must to be put in place with clear steps to identify the issue. It may mean syslogging each phone and UC500  to a PC collecting syslog information and let it run for a while.

The SBSC TAC technicians can easily push to case to Product management and development  for problem resolution.

These issues that I see here  are affecting only a minute minute number of folks, but your issue is real and should be addressed quickly. You escalating the issue will help resolve the issue.

If you have any trouble with escalations, why not have a chat to your Cisco sales Rep who can  involve Cisco system Engineers  who can help fascilitate the escalation.

regards

Dave Hornstein

Small Business Systems Engineer

dhornste@cisco.com

Cisco Systems, Inc.

Building 3

7025-3 Kit Creek Rd

PO Box 14987

Research Triangle Park

NORTH CAROLINA 27709-4987

United States

Shaun Bender Sat, 02/05/2011 - 14:38

@ David Hornstein

David, thanks for that information, however I did go down that road, many, many times.

The issue is very real(like you said), and appears to be a constant with this platform--as from the thread other people are still having this issue.    I asked for "escalation" many times(our several tickets remained at the lowest, heck SBSC even renamed the tickets to include my name in the subject--still haven't heard if that's a Cisco policy or not, sounds odd to me), asking for escalation and/or a duty manager, was a waste of time, and only after "certain" words from our "legal" team did anything really start to take place.

Which, frankly, is the worse service I have ever come across with Cisco, period.    We are still waiting to receive our other replacement phone, but since our original Cisco SB AM left to another company(wasn't even aware that he left), we're in the process of bringing the other AM up to speed--so we can finally receive our last replacement phone.  Apparently, when AMs leave the only info passed along is just an "account name and contact", hmm, odd. 

David, we have been dealing with this process since Feb/Mar of 2010.

Regards.

Shaun Bender Sat, 02/05/2011 - 18:19

@ David Hornstein

What code do you have running on your system?

We have the following and haven't moved off it(we're also doing SIP trunks and no CUE).

Version 15.0(1)XA3a
"uc500-advipservicesk9-mz.150-1.XA3a"

"spa525g-7-4-4-M05-g1"

We *had* been running the SPA525G seriers, on 1130 APs, a bug was found for that in Aug 2010--We bought the system around Nov 2009--Production was in place Jan 2010.

Thanks.

nsn-amagruder Sat, 02/05/2011 - 18:46

Dave,

Have you ever called SBCS support and asked for escalation?  I have on every case I've ever opened and they refuse to escalate unless you upgrade to the latest code revision.  They state that the escalations won't be accepted unless this is done.  I had to get my local Cisco office and SE manager involved and they had an hard time getting my case escalated.  One SBCS tech told me that unless I upgraded my AP, they wouldn't continue troubleshooting a case with a wired phone. What sense does that make?

SBCS support has a long way to go.  The only reason I still recommend it is for the NBD / 4Hr HW replacement.

Shaun Bender Mon, 02/07/2011 - 08:14

For our scenario, we had been running the lastest *everything* and they still didn't do anything. Our local Cisco Team had a heck of time getting anything done, only until did they just remove SBSC from the "scenario" and took things under their "wing" did we get our issue(s) resolved. And, that was by replacing almost all our phones with anything from the 7900 series.

I have yet to hear anything as to why the random reboots and locking of phones is still an issue, even almost two years later.  Even though this might be a "very, very small" issue, once you have a phone that reboots and locks up.  How can you even use that phone, or even trust it??

bjames@snetworks.com Mon, 02/07/2011 - 11:47

Wow,

This is exactly why we dropped the Linksys side of VoIP; sad state of affairs, I hope the support teams are reading AND Understanding what VARs and End users go through.

These are PHONES! Imaging dialing 911 in an emergency and your phone reboots due to bad QA/Bug/Incompatibilities/etc. Com'on

Anyway do we have the fix and what was the cause?

Thanks,

Bob James

RICK MANCINELLI Mon, 02/14/2011 - 10:57

All-

We have a brand new UC560 in deployment for a client.  There are 30 SPA525G2 phones and a couple are experiencing the "lock up" problem described here.  It can happen during a call or while dialing.

We started with firmware 7.4.4, but then "downgraded" to 7.5.1 so that we could "upgrade" to 7.4.7.   This, itself, was a fun task.

Now all phones are running 7.4.7.

We have swapped out one particular phone that has frozen a few times, but that did not seem to help.   We have also rebooted the switch and UC560.   We are still running 8.0.5 on the UC560.

Any thoughts?  Ideas?

Rick

Thomas Gruendler Mon, 02/14/2011 - 11:09

After 2 months of wasted time with SBCS (my opinion) and having to talk with my Cisco Rep, I was able to get the case escalated.  TWO MONTHS it took for me to get a case escalated.  The phone rebooting has gotten worse for a couple of the 525g phones.  We did finally get a couple of debug details on two of the phones while they rebooted and have sent them the syslog of these debugs.  If I learn anything more, I will let you know.

RICK MANCINELLI Mon, 02/14/2011 - 14:00

Thomas, please do keep us updated.  As I said, our phones appear to be just locking up, not rebooting like yours.   BTW, I do have a 7942 and a 7962 on the same UC560 and those have been 100% solid thus far.

Thomas Gruendler Tue, 02/15/2011 - 13:38

Update:

The debug logs didn't show what was causing the issue so we are trying a new debug.  This time we are sending debug information straight to a USB flash drive attached to the phone and  to a syslog server straight off of one of the most problematic phones.  Will post back with more information when I get it.

Steven DiStefano Mon, 02/14/2011 - 11:34

Something concerning here.   If these are SPA525G2 phones then they are shipped from Manufacturing with 7.4.5

Further, the phone (SPA525G2) should not allow downgrade to 7.4.4.

Are you certain thet have the G2 SKU on the back of the phone?

Are you sure you built the TYPE to match the phone?

I would have the SBSC handle this case as a bad exception if what you said is the case.

/* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;}

The only way I’ve seen the 525G2 dropped to 7-4-4 is that if a user manually forces the loading of the 7-4-4 firmware on a 525G2 through CLI

Normal CCA config and use does not force this.  The user has to go out of his way to force the “downgrade”.

7.4.7 is the current latest CODE for both G and G2, so thats good if you are on it, but the TYPE really has to match in the config.  Can you double check?

Actions

Login or Register to take actions

This Discussion

Posted November 2, 2009 at 11:58 AM
Stats:
Replies:70 Avg. Rating:
Views:7733 Votes:0
Shares:0
Tags: No tags.

Discussions Leaderboard