cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

One Network 2 buildings

maria.melendez
Level 1
Level 1

I have a network that will be extended to another building. I have all the vlans defined in router Bldg1. The connection to Bldg2 is using a Layer2 switch with a routed link thru fiber. How I can transfer the vlan information from the other Bldg ?

Thanks!

4 Replies 4

gdrandles
Level 1
Level 1

If both switches are Cisco and support VTP then you can setup Bldg1 switch as the server and Bldg 2 as the client. Connect the switches using a trunk port and put both switches in the same vtp domain and the vlans will propagate from the server to the client. Additions and removals of vlans will only be allowed from the server switch. If there are not a lot of vlans or you don't share vlans between buildings, it may be administratively easier to just manually create the vlans on each switch.

Yes, both switches are Cisco and support VTP but the link between them will be thru a routed link not trunk port.

I guess that probably the best approach is not to share vlans. This connection is going to be temporary until we move completely to the Bldg2.

Thanks!

If it is a routed port then run vtp transparent at both sides, define the VLANs that you need locally at each side and the do routing between the two sides.

Be aware that you will not be able to have the same IP segment at both sides.

HTH, Ingolf

If it s just temporary, change the routed port on both sides to a SVI in a vlan on both sides then trunk all vlans across , routing will still work .

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card