Views
Helpful
Replies

Minimum router with 3 ethernet routed port

ciscorajeev
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

i need a router with minimum 3 ethernet(routed port) on my router.. is it possible in any of 1700 series of router. if yes which router model and what card i can choose.

Regards

Rajeev

5 Replies 5

cisco24x7
Level 6
Level 6

Cisco 2621 comes with dual Fast Ethernet ports. You can add an additional 1-NM-FE. That will give you 3 Fast Ethernet ports.

It appears that the 1700 series is end-of-sale. On the list of available hardware for the 1700 I don't see any FastEthernet WICs or VWICs, just 10mbps Ethernet.

The 1841 module router is an inexpensive alternative that supports either a 1-port or a 2-port FastEthernet HWIC. It also supports a 1-port GigabitEthernet HWIC using an SFP.

HTH

This did the trick, thanks! In current PT version, it's 2623XM Cisco router with a NM-1FE-TX interface which adds a third Ethernet port in the device. Thank you very much. 

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Just several side notes . . .

Many (CPU) routers that come with two ports often don't have the performance to sustain those ports at full bandwidth; a 3rd port reduces possible peformance even more.

Many (CPU) routers support VLAN subinterfaces. I.e. with a VLAN capable switch, it's possible to define multiple routed interfaces on the same physical port and then you may not need another physical routed port.

You might also want to determine if a L3 switch might be suitable for your routing need.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Depending if you have the 1721 or the 1751. The 1700 already has 1 routed FE port. You can add another WIC-1ENET but I doubt if you can add a 2nd WIC card on a 1751 router. Besides, it's very hard now to purchase the WIC-1ENET because it's end-of-sale.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card