cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS 3.2

francisyiu
Level 1
Level 1

LMS imdediate backup works but cannot schedule. Got message 'Cannot read schedule info. Please look into the log files' which log I should check?

It did not work in 3.1 now upgraded to 3.2

11 Replies 11

yjdabear
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

It's "dbbackup.log" in NMSROOT\CSCOpx\log\ (on Windows) or /var/adm/CSCOpx/log/ (on Solaris). The "casuser" must have cron access on Solaris to be able to utilize the scheduled backup feature.

Tks for reply, no update to that file, it only got my last manual backup sucess info. and Casuer has full rights. any more idea?

Try to login as casuser and access

crontab -l

1) su casuser

2) crontab -l

It sounds like your LMS is on Windows? Does casuser have access to Windows AT service/facility? That appears to be the only prerequisite to schedule the backup. You may want to check Windows' Event Viewer for any security warning when your attempt fails.

yes, it on Windows.

Casuser is in the local admin group, there is no log in security event.

Another thread with the similar issue to yours just got bumped up. I think the hints and tips sprinkled throughout there may be useful to resolving your issue, such as checking stdout.log for errors, particularly concerning casuser access to cmd.exe:

http://forums.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Network%20Infrastructure&topic=Network%20Management&topicID=.ee71a02&fromOutline=&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Ddisplay_location%26location%3D.2cd498e3

thanks for the info.

I read that one, he cannot run immediate backup, in the screen dump. I can but just can't schedule it.

Hmmm, I thought two posters there said they couldn't schedule. Oh well, could you post your NMSROOT/MDC/tomcat/logs/stdout.log after a failed scheduling of backup, anyway?

stdout.log attached

according to the return code (retVal=143) I would say your schedule fails while executing the following command :

cmd.exe /c crontab.cmd

with crontab.cmd being lokated in NMSROOT\bin

and cmd.exe should be set in %ComSpec% variable of the OS;

open a DOS box and run it from there, - it should just tell that it is looking for the at command and return the table with the scheduled jobs, like this:

=====================

E:\PROGRA~1\CSCOpx>cmd.exe /c crontab.cmd

E:\PROGRA~1\CSCOpx>set atcommand=at

E:\PROGRA~1\CSCOpx>IF EXIST E:\WINDOWS\System32\at.exe set atcommand=E:\WINDOWS\System32\at.exe

E:\PROGRA~1\CSCOpx>E:\WINDOWS\System32\at.exe

Status ID Day Time Command Line

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 Each Su 12:00 AM E:\PROGRA~1\CSCOpx\conf\backupsch.bat

====================

if it fails have a look if at.exe exists in the system32 folder and casuser has full access to it:

%SystemRoot%\System32\at.exe

(this is tested in crontab.cmd)

@jclarke or anybody who is interested in it... (NMSROT\cgi-bin\dbadmin\pdbadmin\schCommon.pl)

- in "schCommon.pl" the line 46 is a match like this :

until ($line =~ /---/ || $line == "");

It seems that they just want to get the array of scheduled tasks in @lines and get rid of the command lines (see output above). But because there is a blank line after each line there is a match with the first item in @lines (a blank line). So @lines contains the same as before just not the first blank line...

Can this also cause any problems when scheduling backups?

Thanks, found the root cause is window task schuder is disabled.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: