Views
Helpful
Replies

Anti-spam update issue

pnevin123
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We have been using the Spam and Virus Blocker without any problems for some months now.  About two days ago, an incident resulted in the device's power being pulled without the device having shut down and since that time, I have been receiving warning messages advising that CASE updates have been unsuccessful.

An example:

CASE update unsuccessful. This may be due to transient network or DNS issues, HTTP proxy configuration causing update transmission errors or unavailability of the configured download server.  The specific error on the appliance for this failure is: Error transferring update package uridb (uridb-20091104_093653.case): [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '[tmpdir]/engine_update.1188.0/uridb-20091104_093653.case'

Version: 6.6.1-016

Serial Number: [serial]

Timestamp: 05 Nov 2009 07:49:36 +0800

The device registration is showing as completed.  AV updates appear to be happening as per normal.  I have tried running the setup wizard from scratch, but the updates still appear to be stalled.

Can anyone help with a possible solution?  Thanks in advance.

5 Replies 5

pnevin123
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

It looks like the setup wizard has done the trick after all.

Thanks for reading.

Good to hear everything is working. What may have happen is the drives may have gotten corrupted when the power was pulled.

Brian

i am getting the same error message with no changes done on the network recently.

should i just ignore the alert ?

Subject: Warning ironport.ironport.com: CASE update unsuccessful.This may be due to transient netwo...

CASE update unsuccessful. This may be due to transient network or DNS issues, HTTP proxy configuration causing update transmission errors or unavailability of the configured download server.  The specific error on the appliance for this failure is: Error transferring update package dfa_updates (dfa_updates-20101114_205505.case): I/O error opening URL

'http://downloads-static.ironport.com:80/as/dfa_updates/dfa_updates-2010

1114_205505.case'

I have run into the same error this past weekend as yeow_km... No changes but updates are failing... although only on one device in the cluster. Nothing has changed on the network side and all ACL rules are the same for both devices. Yeow_km... were you able to get this fixed?

Martin Eppler
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello all,

could you please open service requests for your appliances so that support can drill down if this is a specific update server failing here? The amount of update failures encountered in this forum thread seems to be a more generic rather than an appliance or network specific issue. If support can get a hold of the data like which region you're located in and what update configuration you're using (downloads-static vs. downloads server), it would help them to investigate if this is a specific update server failing here to provide the update.

Thanks and regards,

Martin

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: