cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

configuring DHCP on only one VLAN on 4500 switch

Kevin Melton
Level 2
Level 2

I have created a DHCP pool on our 4500 switch. I only want our VLAN 6 to use the pool, and no other vlans.

How do I configure so that only VLAN 6 gets the addresses?

3 Replies 3

Jagdeep Gambhir
Level 10
Level 10

Do not set IP helper command on rest of the vlans.

The ip helper-address interface subcommand tells the router to forward UDP broadcasts, including BootP, received on this interface.

Regards,

~JG

Do rate helpful posts

Actually this worked without having to configure ip helper address. The switch must be smart enough to only pull from pools that correspond to the ip configured on that interface.

Example: Interface VLAN 6 address is 192.168.6.1. Ip dhcp pool /network 192.168.6.0 /24 with some exclusions. Ports assigned to VLAN 6 started pulling from the beginning of the pool.

Kevin

You are correct that the switch is smart about the DHCP pools. If you configure a single DHCP pool then when the switch receives a DHCP request from a client, then the switch looks at the layer 3 interface on which the request was received. If the subnet of the receiving interface matches to the DHCP pool then the switch will assign an address from the pool to the client. And if the subnet of the receiving interface does not match the DHCP pool then the switch does not assign an address.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: