Views
Helpful
Replies

WIC for 3845

Pete89
Level 2
Level 2

Hello!

I am upgrading the hardware for a T1 circuit we have. I currently have a 2811 with a WIC 1DSU T1 module. This is working fine.

I am going to replace the 2811 with a 3845. I tried to put in the WIC 1DSU T1 module but the router didnt see the card. After digging around I found out that the 3845 does not support that card.

So what is the equivalent of the WIC 1DSU T1 module for the 3845?

Thanks,

Pedro

9 Replies 9

Jerry Ye
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Looks like you need the HWIC-1DSU-T1 with the following IOS requirement

12.4(20T

12.4(23)

12.4(15)T

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps5949/datasheet_c78-491363.html

HTH,

jerry

Thanks Jerry,

I am running version 12.3(11r)T2 so I will need to upgrade.

I did find some cards sitting around. One is called a VWIC 2MFT-T1DIR. I put in the router but I don't get any serial interface, just the T1 Controller. Is that because this card doesn't have the build in CSU/DSU??

Thanks,

Pete

You need to configure channel-group under controller for the interface to be created.

Oh ... I have never done this before. Timeslots? Cablelenths? Clock source??

OK now I am lost.

Going back to drawing board...

Just call in a cisco professional and he/she will set you up in a second.

It's always better to use trained people when dealing with networking.

Thanks P.Bevilacqua

That's funny because I thought I was a professional, but I have never had to do this before. Back to school for me I guess.

P.

No doubt, one does not need a certification to correctly configure timeslots for a T1 interface.

On the other hand, that is part of basic networking curricula (WAN) also. We consider "cisco networking" to be quite different than "IT professional".

Ok just to button this thread up. Here is what I did and it worked:

controller T1 1/0

framing esf

linecoding b8zs

clock source line

channel-group 0 timeslots 1-24

That gave me a serial interface which I could use for data.

Still at the back of the class,

Pedro

I rated your post as it demonstrates the right approach in our line of work.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card