cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MGCP CCM 7.1 Blocking inbound calls based on Callerid?

NPT_2
Level 2
Level 2

Has anyone figured out a way to actually block or reroute inbound calls from MGCP controlled Gateways in Callmanager? We have anoying telemarketer calls from the same number that we would like to block. TAC tells me this is not possible with MGCP. Has anyone been able to find a way to get this to work with MGCP and CCM?

13 Replies 13

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You can create a PT/CSS for all inbound calls. So what I do, i create GW_PT and then GW_CSS.

GW_CSS in on the gateway inbound MGCP.

Then I create a translation for inbound calls to hit this pattern first.

If the PSTN is sending XXXX, then create a translation pattern for XXXX in CSS GW_CSS

Which then hits the your internal CSS for the line of the phone.

If you want to block it, have it translate to a bad number or to Unity and play a message "Stop calling this number" (jokes)

But using the method for a PT/CSS for the inbound gateway works for me.

Since it is not the first time this simple technique is mentioned, it would be good that some leading TAC member spreads the word within their group.

I kind of misread this. The poster is talking about Calling number, not the called number. The translation inbound CSS can take care of the called number, but the calling, Im not sure where we can block that.

I think there is a way, but have to think about it.

Maybe with Personal Assistant and create a rule for that number.

Or call your PSTN provider and ask them to block this number. They should be able to.

That is correct. I'm looking to block based on calling number.

Unfortunately the PSTN switch cannot block based on incoming either (small telco) so that is not an option either.

I would think this would be a feature that should be available in callmanager.

Any other thoughts for a solution?

Here is another thread.

http://forums.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Unified%20Communications%20and%20Video&topic=IP%20Telephony&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Dpass_through%26location%3Doutline%40^1%40%40.2cd4d2a2/0#selected_message

You might be able to do this in with Translation patterns.... double check. I do not have a CUCM in front of me right now to test.

So after all the TAC is correct, cannot be done with MGCP, although I remember someone claiming it is.

Going another route, what about with Cisco Unity? These calls first go to a voicemail tree in Unity. Is there a way in Unity to block or route a number based on calling number?

Possibly with a rule for personal assistant..... but then all calls have to through the server then. (like the PCA server)

Hey Paolo/Tommer, hope you're doing well.

I also recall someone in the past (2-3 times before) mentioning that this could be accomplished with translation patterns, but they never gave any proof it was working for them.

Not to mention that the TPs ONLY match dialed numbers, must probably they 'thought' it would work but never really tried it to see it just doesn't work.

CUCM does not perform routing based on ANI, as Tommer mentions only stuff like PA has the ability to do this. But it does not scale and it's not the purpose of it.

Unity also has call routing rules and can match the ANI, but that would mean all the calls would need to go thru Unity.

Depending on the amount of calls you receive and the # of ports you could end up with users complaining they can't hear their VM or users not reaching Unity as all the ports could be in use.

I would recommend the H323 method and leave Unity just to handle VM.

My 2 cents.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

These calls actually already go through Unity. Do you know how I would setup these rules in Unity?

Call Routing Settings

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/5x/interface_reference/guide/ex/50curg100e.html

Calling Number (ANI)

Enter the phone number to have the rule apply to a phone number from which calls originate. To have the rule apply to all originating phone numbers, enter * or leave the field blank. The * is a wildcard and can be used alone or with other numbers (for example, enter 212* to control routing of all calls from that area code).

When a call matches all settings for the rule, the call is routed as specified in Send Call To.

Unity rules are ordered in precedence, so place particular rules first and then general rules

HTH

java

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

Those Unity rules worked great. Thanks for the assistance all is working fine now.

Nice Job Java!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: