getting started.

Unanswered Question
Nov 5th, 2009

hi. it has been suggested to me to seek cisco certification. i have no idea where to start. i've got basic knowledge from doing custom installs on various "smart house" systems, crestron, via, and basic home stereo networking tying in alarms and thermostat controls.....for the most part, this is all trial and error of making this stuff work. the company i was with recently brought on a cisco certified guy and he actually knows how everything works.

so, i've got a little experience, i troubleshoot a lot of peoples home networks and have set up a million of them, all very basic plug and play and would like to see if i can make use of the programs here.

what's the first step? what's the first class? where do i find it? should i take it online? books? i've been watching some of the videos associated with the entry level classes which seem to be familiarizing me with the syllabus and start to finish. can some things be tested out of without a class? ok...i know, it's a million questions. hope to hear from someone soon!

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Conor Cunningham Thu, 11/05/2009 - 13:11

Hi,

Depending on your level of cash, you can take official Cisco training courses. Information for these can be found on cisco.com.

You can also purchase videos which are really helpful.

I would also recommend doing a lot of reading - Cisco Press have some good books which you can find on Amazon and I believe you can buy them online here, too.

What I will stress to you is that you must understand the basics. You will be tested on anything and everything in the exams.

There are two ways of getting your CCNA. The first one is to do the CCNA exam and the other is to take the ICND1 and then the ICND2 exams. This is probably the best bet for someone who is new to Cisco.

A core area that you must know is the basic fundamentals of how networks work. If you fail to know this, everything else will not make much sense.

After your study, practice, practice and practice. Do the tests in the Cisco books and practice on equipment which you can buy second hand.

So, in short, I can really recommend the Cisco Books and self study. When you can answer all the questions in the books and configure the hardware in your sleep, then you should be ready to go.

Good luck,

Conor

networkthis Thu, 11/05/2009 - 15:51

wow. thanks conor. so....i need to figure out which books and equipment to obtain to get through the CCNA exam or the ICND1 AND ICND2 exams.

PacketGnome Thu, 11/05/2009 - 16:12

Here is all you need to do. Buy this book, read it end to end, then go from there. Takes notes as you go, and do all of the written labs, hands-on labs, and review questions. For right now, don't bother worrying about anything else. Get the book first and know it like the back of your hand.

http://www.amazon.com/CCNA-Certified-Network-Associate-640-802/dp/0470110082/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1257466260&sr=1-1

srue Mon, 11/09/2009 - 07:57

also download/install gns3 and an IOS image to use with it.

anujbtewari Wed, 11/11/2009 - 02:36

hi,

After read your Query.I m suggesting you to 1st you findout ur interest.From my knowledge u have a experience in Local LAN side not in Routing & switching sides.

So this is a perfect time for choose ur field.Knows a days Security & Voice market is hot.Track is

CCNA(R&S)>CCNP>CCIE(R&S)

CCNA(Voice)>CCVP>CCIE(Voice)

CCNA(Security)>CCSP>CCIE(Security)

your 1st Step is CCNA.CCNA(R&S) u r doing by self study & GNS3 simulaters.But not rest.

So decided & go for it.

Best of luck for ur Bright Future

Actions

This Discussion