Views
Helpful
Replies

dwdm cisco product selection

hardiklodhia
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

i wanted to connect DC to DR site by 10g link.if i get the dark fibre, which Cisco optical product will meet my requirements for dwdm connection. i checked ONS 15454 but it seems its bit big as i am just using 1 pair of fiber.

Any suggetions.

thanks in advance.

10 Replies 10

Tom Randstrom
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

What would be the fiber distance between DC & DR?

You may be able to run the 10G signal directly over the fiber.

Thanks for your reply,

one option is to use 10G X2 but i prefer dwdm to use because it allows me to allocate some 1g links from dwdm box to different san switches for replication. for example exchange replication i can give them 1g, for other application-1g etc.but 15454 is too big. any other product which can be used as edge dwdm on both sides??

if 15454, then which cards do i need to order?

Thanks

We are not saying that the 15454 is the box for you. The distance and your expected wavelength growth helps determine what system to pick.

You mentioned your wanting to transport 1G links as well, then maybe a passive CWDM solution would work (see link below). This solution will also allow for a 1310nm channel to be added that could possibly be used with your 10G X2 module. There are also options to integrate with DWDM to add additional wavelengths (2nd link below).

CWDM Solution

<http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6575/index.html>

EDWDM Solution

<https://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps5455/product_data_sheet0900aecd806a1c36.html>

These passive systems can be easy to use versus deploying a full-blown DWDM system.

Hope this helps!

Does this CWDM/ewdm passive devices support non cisco SAN switches? like Brocade? i didnt found any information on that documents. as i said earlier i have option to connect dark fibre directly to 6500 series with 10g optic but if i can connect 2 brocade SAN switches at each location with min 1G link. and a 10g link for 6500.

I am new to cisco Optical products so pls pardon me.

thanks

The passive CWDM/EWDM devices don't know or care what vendor's equipment is connecting to it. They only mix the light at a given ITU grid frequency/wavelength onto the optical fiber.

As long as you plan and manage your wavelengths through proper transponder and WDM interface module selection, you would be fine in a multi-vendor environment.

Note my earlier post below however - you will be adding cost and complexity to go to a WDM-based solution.

Hope this helps. Please rate helpful posts.

I didn't see any WDM interfaces available on the Brocade products so you would need transponders (wavelength converters) to get these products optical interfaces onto any WDM system (adds cost and complexity).

As mklemovitch has accurately pointed out, it will probably make more economic and complexity sense to utilize the 6500 to be your transport for this traffic (over a shared 10G over dark fiber) link.

You can always increase fiber bandwidth with WDM in the future as you outgrow the 10G link.

Run your SAN switches etc. into a Ethernet switch, keep them VLAN-separated and link them on an inter-switch trunk across the leased fiber using a X2 10 Gbps laser of the appropriate type (LR most likely) to span the fiber given the loss characteristics.

Allow only the inter-site VLANs on the trunk. Since each was coming in at 1 Gbps, you can very crudely estimate that 10 of them can't take up more than 10 Gbps so you don't need to do anything special with queueing, policing, QoS, CoS, etc.

Even if you put passive CWDM (a la CWDM or EWDM solutions mentioned above) in the link, you will still need transponder interfaces - available for LAN/WAN switches but costly. You will also introduce additional possible points of failure, complexity and cost for what sounds like a relatively simple requirement set.

Thank you All,

viyuan700
Level 5
Level 5

"if i get the dark fibre, which Cisco optical product will meet my requirements for dwdm connection"

Why are you thinking of DWDM box? Do you have more than one 10G between DC& DR. You need DWDM boc ONLY if you have multiple 10G between DC & DR.

ONS 15454 is a big box but still it can work on one pair of fiber.

If there is only 10G and distance is between the spec of 10G card then as noted by Tom you can connect them directly without any box.

viyuan700
Level 5
Level 5

"if i get the dark fibre, which Cisco optical product will meet my requirements for dwdm connection"

Why are you thinking of DWDM box? Do you have more than one 10G between DC& DR. You need DWDM boc ONLY if you have multiple 10G between DC & DR.

ONS 15454 is a big box but still it can work on one pair of fiber.

If there is only 10G and distance is between the spec of 10G card then as noted by Tom you can connect them directly without any box.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: