cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS

maria.melendez
Level 1
Level 1

I have to upload a big IOS version 12.2(33) SXH6 but I'm unable to copy the image to the switch through the network. Is there any other way that I can do it ?

7 Replies 7

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

We sometimes had the same problem when updating devices via a satellite link.

What we did then was this:

Taking over a local PC or server and install a suitable TFTP client on it.

Then copy the image to that machine via ftp or similar and subsequently update the IOS box from the local machine.

I do not know if this is an option for you but updating via tftp can best be done locally.

Slow links do have the problem that you now bumped into.

regards,

Leo

Thanks!

Yes, we are going to connect a machine directly to the switch and use tftp.

alternativly if the router has a USB port you can put the IOS on a USB stick and upgrade from the USB stick

Maria

The issue that Leo discusses is related to transmission over a very slow link. I am not clear from your post whether your issue is related to transmission over a very slow link or whether it is related to the size of the image.

If your issue is related to a very slow link then the solution suggested by Leo is apropriate. But I wonder if your problem is really related to the size of the image. Many TFTP servers have problems with large IOS image files. There are some TFTP servers developed to solve the problem with large files. One of those TFTP servers is tftpd32 which I have used with good success (and it is free). If you are interested in this possibility this link has more detail and a download of the TFTP server.

If your issue is related to the size of the IOS image file, then I would also have another suggestion. Perhaps you should consider using FTP for the file transfer rather than TFTP. FTP has no limitation on file size to transmit, and FTP transmission is faster and more efficient than TFTP. You notice the difference in performance more as the file size gets larger.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

I'm using tftpd32, but the speed is too low around 5kb/sec no matter if we connect locally to the switch or from another place in the network. Right now the estimate time to upload the IOS is around 4hrs.

At this point we cant use FTP but if this is our only option we will go for it.

Maria

If you are already using tftpd32 then the size of the IOS image file should not be an issue.

5kb/sec is pretty slow. Without knowing more about the topology it is hard to know what is reducing the throughput. Is there any QoS configured, or other policing or shaping of traffic? Have you looked for possible duplex mismatches which would result in lowered throughput?

FTP is more efficient that TFTP. In your circumstance it might be worth looking at using FTP.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I don't know what supervisor engine you've got but what you can do is to copy your IOS to a CF (<2 Gb) and ship it. Being the US armed services, I hope that packages arrive to destination faster than the US Postal Services (no offense to the latter).

You can then upload the IOS from the CF to the sup-bootflash:. Don't even bother using the USB for the 6500/7600 chassis because it's not supported EVER.

Hope this helps.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco