Views
Helpful
Replies

Different IOS image on stack master?

dgoodridge
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I've just inherited a few IBM Bladecentre devices each populated with 4x 3110G switches operating in a stack.

I've noticed an oddity that may or may not be an issue; basically within each stack, the master is shown as running teh CBS31X0-UNIVERSALK9-M image with all other members of the stack running CBS31X0-UNIVERSAL-M.

Is this a byproduct of the configuration and should be ignored? (BTW this is also confirmed within flash).

Or do I require the K9 image to SSH to the boxes and therefore if the master fails I'll lose managment connectivity over SSH?

If they really are different versions then I'm assuming that the master hasn't upgraded the stack because they are the same major image type.

hhhmm, I'm not sure......

Cheers,

Doug

2 Replies 2

iyde
Level 4
Level 4

Doug,

I'm pretty sure that if you lose your current master then you will not be able to use SSH as the newly elected master will not have the -k9- image.

Perhaps you should do a copy of the image from the master to the other switches. I've not tried it on blade switches but on Cat3750 you can do a copy flash: flash2: to copy image from one switch to another.

HTH, Ingolf

Thanks for the reply. That is what I suspected, so obviously the guy who installed these originally did a quick and dirty job.

I'll do some testing later on and hopefully post a definitive answer.

Many thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: