cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Spanning Tree question

mguzman4158
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all, I would like to get some advise on the proper way to configure stp given the next scenario. Two core switches interconnecting via ether channel and each core switch connected to 6 other floor switches. Each floor switch is connected to each core for redundancy. I have 20 vlans configured on the core switches. Now, should I make core one the root for all the vlans? or divide them between core 1 and core 2? Thank you very much in advance for your assistance.

Cheers!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Mauricio

You can do either really. A common setup is to

1) make core switch 1 STP root for all odd vlans and match this up with the HSRP active for the odd vlans.

2) make core switch 2 STP root for all even vlans and match this up with the HSRP active for the even vlans.

Core switch 1 will be STP secondary for even vlans and core switch 2 will be STP secondary for odd vlans.

This setup works fine and utilises both the uplinks from the floor switches.

I'm assuming that the etherchannel between the core switches is a L2 etherchannel trunk ?

Jon

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Mauricio

You can do either really. A common setup is to

1) make core switch 1 STP root for all odd vlans and match this up with the HSRP active for the odd vlans.

2) make core switch 2 STP root for all even vlans and match this up with the HSRP active for the even vlans.

Core switch 1 will be STP secondary for even vlans and core switch 2 will be STP secondary for odd vlans.

This setup works fine and utilises both the uplinks from the floor switches.

I'm assuming that the etherchannel between the core switches is a L2 etherchannel trunk ?

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card