ActiveX Proper fix when ?

Unanswered Question
Nov 6th, 2009

When will, if ever Cisco issue a proper fix to the ActiveX issue ? By that I mean providing a signed cab file that has not expired ! The Manual installation fix is unacceptable and requiring you to download and execute an executable is not a satifactory solutions for my users.

Ideally they should be providing updated firmware and/or a cab file that has been digitally re-signed and not expired. Something which should not be beyond Cisco's capabilitiy, after all they spent time creating the manual installation procedure !

The only other option not to go through the manual installation is to create a web page that loads an ActiveX cab file individually signed for a cost of $199-$499 per year which is not a viable option.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
jestowe Fri, 11/06/2009 - 22:23

Yes Sir,

You are correct.  And while Cisco looks to address this issue, there is one other alternative I've noted; you can use Google's Chrome browser which does not require the ActiveX control to load.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Jeff.

OrgSolutions Fri, 11/06/2009 - 22:46

You are correct in saying Google Chrome works as does Mozilla Firefox and Apple Safari all of which stream the MJPEG content and play directly in the browser.

Unfortunately I have no control over which browser my clients use and whether you love it or hate it Microsoft Internet Explorer is still the mostly widely used desktop browser, therefore requiring the ActiveX as it has no native support for MJPEG as the others do.

I cannot even stream the /img/video.asf into Windows Media Player as it does not pick up the stream and display the video, another solution I was hopeful of.

doishi Thu, 12/17/2009 - 09:53

The updated firmware images for the WVC2300, PVC2300, and WVC210 all include updated ActiveX components without the certificate issue.  Firmware versions 1.1.0 or higher will fix this.

Actions

This Discussion

Related Content