Manager / Assistant call handling

Unanswered Question
Nov 7th, 2009
User Badges:
  • Bronze, 100 points or more

Can someone help me with fixing the problem with this configuration? This is an assistant/manager scenario. Assistant uses DN 13, ephone 7. Manager uses DN 11,22 (overlay DN), ephone 5. The manager is requesting that ALL her incoming calls RING on the assistant's phone so that the assistant can answer the call as necessary. The Manager wants the Assistants phone to RING even when the call to the manager is the second call- that is, a call-waiting call for the manager. Just as an FYI, all incoming calls to the main number ring 150 (DN 18) on the assistant's phone.

The problem is that the Assistant is NOT hearing a ring on the assistant's phone when the Manager is on a call (call waiting call) for the manager and the assistant's phone is not in use. The manager does hear the call waiting beep.

In this scenario,

ephone-dn  18  dual-line
call-waiting ring
number 150 no-reg primary
label Incoming
description 150
call-forward busy 602
call-forward night-service 602
call-forward noan 602 timeout 18
huntstop channel
night-service bell
!

ephone-dn  11  dual-line
number 101 secondary 1991
label Womanager
description Womanager
name Womanager
call-forward noan 600 timeout 13
no huntstop
!

ephone-dn  21  dual-line
number 101 secondary 1991
label Womanager
description Womanager
name Womanager
preference 2
call-forward busy 600
call-forward noan 600 timeout 18
huntstop channel
!

ephone-dn  13  dual-line
call-waiting ring
number 103 secondary 1993 no-reg primary
label Assistant
description Assistant
name Assistant
call-forward busy 600
call-forward noan 600 timeout 13

!

ephone  5
device-security-mode none
mac-address 0023.5EB6.8D9F
ephone-template 16
type 7975
button  1c11,21
!

ephone  7
device-security-mode none
mac-address 0026.CB3D.BC7B
ephone-template 16
type 7975
button  1c13,18 2c11,21 3c12,22 4c14,24
button  5c16,26 6w11 7w12 8m17

The above assistant has to handle incoming calls for several Managers (buttons 2, 3, 4, 5) as well as watch (know when the manager is on the phone) for two of the managers.

Any thoughts on why, expected behavior, and any thoughts on changes that could be done to accomodate the Manager's requested call flow?

Thank you in advance.

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Steven Smith Mon, 11/09/2009 - 08:03
User Badges:
  • Gold, 750 points or more

What is 602?  When the call is picked up on ephone-dn 18, how is it transfered to the manager? 

Are the calls that they are complaining about coming in on 18?  It would seem that a call to ephone-dn 18 would never ring the managers phone directly.

MICHAEL JOHNSON Mon, 11/09/2009 - 08:18
User Badges:

Steve, thanks for the fast reply. The issue is not with dn 18. It is only with the direct extensions tied to the "Womanager". Number 602 is AA. 600 is VM.

DN 11 and 21 are the Womanager's DNs which are not call-waiting properly on the assistant's phone - call-waiting overlay on assistant button 2.

Here is a summary:

DN 11, 21 - Manager overlay lines. Manager wants assistant to answer the call in specific situations including when/he/she is on the phone (hence the "w" button on assistant phones), but manager wants to see call waiting call.

DN 18 - Incoming main line DID for Assistant's to answer - manager's do not want to see these calls.

DN 13 - Assistant DN

DN 12,22 and 14, 24 and 16,26 are additional managers that have the same configuration as DN 11, 21.

Ephone 5 - Manager (same ephone config for remaining managers)

Ephone 7 - Assistant phone (same ephone config for the other assistant)

I might consider a hunt group (blast), but the manager needs both DID incoming and extension incoming (from AA) to ring her phone and both assistant's phone then forward to her VM if unanswered. But from my diagraming, that seems to be a lot more complicated.

Thanks-

Steven Smith Mon, 11/09/2009 - 09:43
User Badges:

The problem might be when you have too many calls come in.  When you are sharing a dual-line DN, you own the DN when a call comes in.  So, if someone is on dn11, and a call comes in on dn21, say the boss answers.  If another call comes in, it will go to the 2nd channel of ephone-dn21.  The only phone that will ring will be the managers phone, because they are using dn21.

Can you try implementing this with octo-lines instead of dual-line overlays?

MICHAEL JOHNSON Mon, 11/09/2009 - 09:53
User Badges:

I'm not getting ring on the second call. I understand the 3rd call situation which is a limitation explained to the client, but not getting a ring on DN21 on the second call is the issue I'm seeing.

On the octo, are you thinking I should try making the manager's DN octo instead of dual overlay? Should I octo any other lines? On the manager, should I add huntstop channel 4 as well? With that, if the manager is on a call one channel 1 of octo DN, if the assistant has a button : or f for that DN11 (octo'd) they should hear a ring on the assistant phone unless the assistant is on the phone (beep instead).

Thanks.

Steven Smith Mon, 11/09/2009 - 09:58
User Badges:

Without seeing the traces, it would be hard to say how the calls were coming in and what is actually happening.

My suggestion is to use octo lines on the manager DN and do not do any huntstop channel commands. 

MICHAEL JOHNSON Mon, 11/09/2009 - 10:01
User Badges:

sorry, huntstop always confuses me. on the octo, no huntstop, no huntstop channel, etc.

how do we capture the traces?

Actions

This Discussion