Views
Helpful
Replies

config of switch for Vmware Server

Mhon Baul
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I would like to know on what is the best practice to configure on a switch to support a server w/ vmware. Server inside the vmware belongs to different vlans. Is it ok if I configure the port in a trunk and allow only the vlans that belong to vmware server? Your all inputs were very much appreciated.Thanks in advance!

cheers!

reymon

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Nagendra Kumar Nainar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Reymon,

You have to configure the interface connected to VMware server as trunk and allow only required vlans to traverse the trunk interface.

You may have to hardcode trunking with "switchport mode trunk" and not using trunk negotiation as I dont think VMware server supports trunk negotiation.

HTH,

Nagendra

View solution in original post

Reymon,

Also make sure that you use " switchport trunk allowed vlan " command as a best practice in order to have the control traffic like STP bpdu's for the required vlans only.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Nagendra Kumar Nainar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Reymon,

You have to configure the interface connected to VMware server as trunk and allow only required vlans to traverse the trunk interface.

You may have to hardcode trunking with "switchport mode trunk" and not using trunk negotiation as I dont think VMware server supports trunk negotiation.

HTH,

Nagendra

Hi Nagendra,

Thanks for your fast reply.

cheers!

reymon

Reymon,

Also make sure that you use " switchport trunk allowed vlan " command as a best practice in order to have the control traffic like STP bpdu's for the required vlans only.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco