cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SPA525G SCCP mode ... download wallpaper from TFTP not possible?

lightxx1980
Level 1
Level 1

ok ...

when an SPA525G is operated in SIP mode, a lot of cool features such as downloading wallpapers from an TFTP server are available.

(see https://www.myciscocommunity.com/docs/DOC-8495)

when running the phone in SCCP mode, those features are missing.

y's that and is there a workaround?

thanks,

Tom

15 Replies 15

Patrick Born
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Tom,

A firmware update is available: https://www.myciscocommunity.com/docs/DOC-11915

SPCP is different to SIP. A phone is an SPCP environment is not as configurable as a SIP phone is. It's not a limitation of the the phone, it's the way SPCP is. A SPA525G in SPCP mode will never be as configurable as on in SIP-mode and there are no plans to make them so.

As a work-around, you can change a SPCP-mode SPA525G's wallpaper from a USB stick as follows:

1. USB stick into phone

2. Setup button

3. User Preferences

4. Screen Preferences

5. Wallpaper > [select image from USB stick]

6. Save

7. Setup button to exit

I know it's not a downloadable image like you requested, but that's the best I can offer.

Regards,

Patrick

----------

Any particular image size, format, etc. that we should be aware. Does it need to be in specific folder on the stick?

Does the USB stick have to be a specific format? I've tried the steps above as well as the additional documentation throughout this portal, but the phone will not read images off of several USB sticks I have tried.

Thoughts?

finalconnect,

just follow this guide: https://www.myciscocommunity.com/docs/DOC-5048

make sure the pics are in your USB stick's /pictures folder. the phone won't scan the root or any other folder.

-Tom

Followed that - still can't get pictures on the phone. It is as if the pictures don't exist on the USB key. Tried FAT, NTFS, differnet size JPGs, 24-bit, 32-bit still nothing. Tried on multiple 525Gs so that is not the issue...

hm. that's weird.

I had our "administrative assistants" (LOL) manually roll out the image yesterday on 30 SPA525Gs, no problems so far. its a JPG with 320x240 and 24bit color depth. FW is 7.3.5

FAT seems to work fine for us here.

at least the wallpaper persists a reboot or a power loss, so you don't have to roll out the wallpaper every time the phone gets plugged out.

Maybe those "admins" need some side work. I got to roll 60 in the next couple days...

I have tested it several times just now in the lab and it works perfectly by following the guide. I did a search on the net for a 320 x 240 jpg file (used images to narrow my search). I saved the image and edited it with windows MSPAINT. Once I had the right pic in it, I saved it to my brand new flash drive under the folder "Pictures" and plugged in the usb key to the phone. I selected the options key, then 4 for user preferences, and 2 for background settings. I then scrolled to the bottom and pushed the check mark button with background image highlited. I found my image and selected save.

Hope this helps.

Bill

Bill - are you using 7-3-5 firmware? Just want to make sure this is something odd with me not a change with the firmware.

Whatever, I have a work around and another head scratcher related to the UC platform

Thanks.

Patrick,

thank you very much for your feedback. I'm already running 7.3.5 though.

I would fully understand if there were VOICE related features missing when running in SPCP mode. this is not the case here. it's just a wallpaper. its a simple TFTP download. this has nothing to do with the actual layer 4 protocol used for voice communications sessions.

seems to me as if Cisco was purposefully trying to trick people to buy more expensive phones than they actually would need to :(

if you run an SPA525G with an open source com server like Asterisk, you get TFTP wallpaper download, if you buy an UC520 for way north of 1k $ you actually get your phone's web GUI crippled? sounds pretty strange to me.

I concur - it's not even easy uploading from a USB key

Somebody is having a good laugh - sure not me.

Hi finalconnect,

I'm sorry to read that you're having a tough time with this. I appreciate you letting us know though.

I have submitted a feature request to the phone's product management team requesting the equivalent of https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-9799 for the SPA525G in a future release of firmware.

WRT to the problems you're experiencing. Please make sure that you have a \pictures directory [case is sensitive]

Make sure that the photos are not huge. The phone will load them, but takes a long time due to the size and that it resizes them to fit.

When you get to Wallpaper, press the > on the navi-button *once* and wait, depending on the number and size of images, can take up to 60 seconds to display photos from USB stick.

Here's a sample image [sunrise in Texas] that I have on my SPA525G phone running in SPCP mode:

Regards,

Patrick

-----------

TFTP downloads for background are possible with other SCCP phones, such as the 797X, 7965 and 7945.  You do not configure this, but the user selects it from a directory.

While I don't have confirmation that the SPA525 will be able to do this in the future, it seems very likely to happen.

Anyone know a way to delete the existing images off the phone so only the uploaded image is available?

ONE NOTE: I have found that any picture less than 350 x 260 is not read by the phone. It appears the image has to be larger than the 350 x 260 for the phone to read the image off the USB stick. I did not figure out the exact size, but the iamges I tried at 330x250 plus minus a couple did NOT upload. It did not upload to the phone until I created a 400 x 300 image. Another go figure