Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VSS Question

Greeting all,

Just a question about VSS, if i have a redundant supervisor and since VSS doesn`t support Redundant Sup so waht is the best practise with it since our customer has already ordered a second Sup for each 65xx and does VSS still work if the sup still plugged in the switch or it has to be removed

Thanks for your help guys

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Seifeddine,

support for redundant supervisor on same chassis can be on the roadmap.

But if it is not supported I think the only option is to to have it unplugged you cannot know if having it plugged can create problems.

about active sup crash in VSS follow the recommendations in config guide for dual active detection.

have dedicated links to run BFD and/or Fast hellos.

see

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SX/configuration/guide/vss.html#wp1063892

GE links should be good for active/active detection.

also have at least one 10GE link in VSL bundle that is taken from a WS-6708 or WS-6716 to allow interchassis communication in case one supervisor fails totally.

be aware that WS 6704 is not suitable to be used for VSL link because it misses the ASIC chip that encapsulates frames and internal traffic inside VSS frames.

Edit:

in case you haven't the WS-6708 or WS-6716 in your chassis I would consider to send back the two redundant supervisors and to get two WS-6708.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Another question came to my mind which i beleive is a restriction to VSS, what happen is the supervisor in the active switch will crash this means that i`m going to loose my connection to the line cards that i have and the standby switch can no longer communicate and take control over those line cards any solution to overcome this issue

Thanks

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Seifeddine,

support for redundant supervisor on same chassis can be on the roadmap.

But if it is not supported I think the only option is to to have it unplugged you cannot know if having it plugged can create problems.

about active sup crash in VSS follow the recommendations in config guide for dual active detection.

have dedicated links to run BFD and/or Fast hellos.

see

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SX/configuration/guide/vss.html#wp1063892

GE links should be good for active/active detection.

also have at least one 10GE link in VSL bundle that is taken from a WS-6708 or WS-6716 to allow interchassis communication in case one supervisor fails totally.

be aware that WS 6704 is not suitable to be used for VSL link because it misses the ASIC chip that encapsulates frames and internal traffic inside VSS frames.

Edit:

in case you haven't the WS-6708 or WS-6716 in your chassis I would consider to send back the two redundant supervisors and to get two WS-6708.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thanks! spcially for the note regarding the WS 6704 since i haven`t find this anywhere :) in the website

Thanks again

Just a note that i went through the DocCD of cisco and my scenario correspond to Chassis failure and not Dual active mode though thanks for the information.

Thanks

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card