Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple Dialer interfaces

matthew
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Im looking at switching providers for DSL in the UK. However the login will change on the dialer interface, I still need to gain remote access to the 877 but if the line drops and is live on the new DSL provider this wont be possible. Is there anyway to configure two dialer interfaces with different logins so when the line gets switched the dialer with the correct login will get authenticated. Is this possible? It will have a single ATM interface.

thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You are welcome.

A side note, please review your use of the rating system, because the information given to you was 100% complete and correct, and even if it doesn't meet your hopes, is not fairly rated with "3".

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

The dialer is mapped to the atm vc.

When this is a different one, you may have some routing problems but otherwise you can have both dialers active. ;-)

When the atm vc is the same, trying this will cause unpredictable behavior.

Best is then to write the new config to startup-config and reboot. You will obviously have little margin for error when taking this road.

regards,

Leo

When I did a bit of testing I couldnt get both dialers to work, it would always take the first dialer and not bother with the rest, i.e. dialer 0 was fine and dialer 1 wasnt.

I could do the reboot thing but most of the customers dont know what a router is, or where it is (usually hidden in a dark corner) :)

I was trying to see if there was a way of doing it so it would just connect with new credentials when the line dropped and came back on the new provider, then I could get back in and remove the old details.

cheers

matt

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That is not possible ASAIK.

What you can do is prepare a config file with the new settings, save in startup-config, schedule a reload on the day it is supposed to take place.

Yup seems that is my only option and cross fingers :)

thanks

You are welcome.

A side note, please review your use of the rating system, because the information given to you was 100% complete and correct, and even if it doesn't meet your hopes, is not fairly rated with "3".

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: