cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3550 PWR Switch Power Controller does not report Power Good

NPT_2
Level 2
Level 2

I have a 3550-24-PWR Switch with a half dozen IP phones connected. This morning I had a report that several phones connected to this switch just keep rebooting. I connected to the switch and have found the following in the logs:

1w3d: %ILPOWER-3-CONTROLLER_PORT_ERR: Controller port error, Interface Fa0/21: Power given, but Power Controller does not report Power Good

A reboot of the switch brings all the phones back up. What exactly causes this error and does it indicate a hardware or software/bug issue?

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hard to tell. Can you provide the IOS version of the switch and the type and model of the IP phones?

12.1(12c)EA1 and the phones are primarily 7940's.

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

First thing I would do is to try to upgrade the code , that has to be about the oldest code I have ever seen on a 3550 . Think it is at like 12.2.44Se6 at this point . If it continues after that then it's probably a hardware issue or a component starting to go .

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Was anything done to the Call Manager immediately before this issue started appearing? Maybe phone firmware was upgraded? If something was indeed done to either one, I'd upgrade the switch IOS to something more recent.

The last of the EA series IOS, EA13 is very stable and you can jump to the next version up.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card