cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LAP1131 to autonomous mode

jordan01060
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to follow the directions from here (the TFTP method): http://cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/1130/installation/guide/113h_c4.html#wp1091047

However, when I restart the AP with the mode button held down, it never connects to the TFTP server. I hold the mode button until the R light is solid red, as described in the document. The TFTP server (solarwinds) is set to IP 10.0.0.2 (I've also tried 10.0.0.10 without effect). I've tried both directly connecting the AP to the laptop via Cat5 and using a switch between them.

At no point does the TFTP server register a connection and the activity monitor for the Local Area Connection Status on the laptop shows 0 received packets. Eventually the AP shows the E light as green with occasional flashes off and the R light is flashing red in a 1 flash-pause-2 flash-pause pattern.

Any suggestions for getting this LAP into autonomous mode would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

8 Replies 8

mscherting
Level 1
Level 1

I normally do this with a crossover between a laptop running tftp (3CDaemon)and the AP. I also have a console session open to the AP from the laptop and I don't use POE for this.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Can you connect the LAP to the WLC and let it join?

jordan01060
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you for the replies.

-I tried a crossover cable instead of the straight-through Cat5. There was no change in behavior.

-Unfortunately, I don't have a WLC, which is why I'm trying to get the LAP reflashed as an autonomous AP.

- Make sure your subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 on your PC

- Hold the button for 30 seconds (even if the light turns red at 20)

- Hook up a console cable and see what messages are displaying on the AP

- Did you rename the image file to c1130-k9w7-tar.default? It must be that name exactly.

Mr. Barrett,

Thanks so much for your help. I'm an idiot. I connected a console cable and watched the scroll. I watched it fail to open tftp://255.255.255.255/{file} and the light bulb went on...

So I turned off the firewall on the laptop (!!!) and everything appears to be working now.

Thanks again for slapping the stupid out of me...

-Jordan

Any time. Just share the love and give someone else a slap when they need it ;)

Thanks for the points...

Hey Robert,

Nice catch here! +5 points for this good work.

Cheers!

Rob

I'm trying to figure out how to mark your message as having solved my problem but can't find the option. Am I missing something else obvious?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: