cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Device Discovery in LMS 3.2

dionjiles
Level 1
Level 1

I have imported a list of devices into LMS 3.2 from a previous device export from my old Ciscoworks Server to ensure the right number of devices are added.

I am looking to do a discover on some devices that are being managed on another network range. How can I achieve that and not hinder my current device list count?

Basically I have 477 devices, I want to make sure the devices that loopbacks are being managed on another network segment.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Make sure you choose NOT to use DCR devices as seeds (the default), then just configure the seed devices on your other network segment. That way, the new devices will be discovered while leaving the existing DCR devices as-is.

View solution in original post

The way the sysName resolution works is to first resolve the sysName to an IP.  Then, the product of THAT resolution is resolved once again to get the management hostname.  This last resolution is superfluous, but unfortunately required to see a hostname.  Therefore, make sure you have PTR records setup for all of the IPs to which your sysNames resolve.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Make sure you choose NOT to use DCR devices as seeds (the default), then just configure the seed devices on your other network segment. That way, the new devices will be discovered while leaving the existing DCR devices as-is.

Thanks I was thinking that was the answer will performing the option ping sweep on IP Range give me the same results?

Yes, provided the DCR devices are not being used as seeds. If they are, then Discovery will attempt to update DCR with new IP information.

Well I haven't configured any seed devices....I just used the file I exported from the old server. So I am assuming I should be ok.

Well, you'll need to configure seed devices for your other network segment. Without any seeds, Discovery will not work.

Understood...and will do.

Thanks for your help.

Hi,

When running the discovery I have the Preferred DCR Display name set to Host Name and Preferred Mgmt IP to resolve by SysName, yet I am still

getting nothing but IP's.

Am I do something wrong?

The way the sysName resolution works is to first resolve the sysName to an IP.  Then, the product of THAT resolution is resolved once again to get the management hostname.  This last resolution is superfluous, but unfortunately required to see a hostname.  Therefore, make sure you have PTR records setup for all of the IPs to which your sysNames resolve.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: