cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAP200 Repeater issues

RobertLewisNJ
Level 1
Level 1

I am working on a wireless network with a WAP200E Access Point and (2) WAP200 repeaters

I installed the HGA9N (external omni-antenna) on the WAP200E and it did help improve the signal quite a bit.

From the same remote location (100% metal building with garage door open) I am able to connect directly to the WAP200E with 4 bars and internet

reponds well.  When they close  the garage door I still receive 3 bars, but I lose connection to the internet.

So I installed a WAP200 internal on the remote building and attached one of the two SMA antenna jacks to a external Yagi 10dBi antenna with a 24" cable

and the other antenna is on the inside of the building to serve the internal wireless needs.  The performance is terrible when going thru the repeater...

but from the same location I can select to connect directly to the WAP200E access point and the performance is fine.

I have the same exact configuration in another building and the test results are the same

I am concerned that the external Yagi antenna might be causing a issue with the WAP200 which typically uses a pair of MIMO antenna's

or the WAP200 is just not a very good repeater

Any ideas/suggestions would be appreciated

What other repeaters are compatible with the WAP200E?

All the firmware is up to the latest available

WAP200E  1.20a

WAP200 1.0.22

Thanks

Bob

2 Replies 2

David Hornstein
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Bob,

When looking from the rear of the unit, in other words the 'rear' is the panel that has the two gold SMA connectors posts and the ethernet port.

Did you use the Right hand rear SMA connector for the YAGI?  This SMA post is the RX and TX post., the rear left hand SMA connector, when looking from the rear is a RX connection only.

Yagi however should have a very poor radiation pattern behind the antenna , this could account for the performance issue. See radiation pattern on a yagi below. Very good directional signal , but poor performance on the rear of the antenna.

Also i wonder how you setup the WAP200E and WAP200 in terms of wireless Mode, Bridging or AP or AP with repeating modes.

But I am still a little unsure about the topology setup and distances between WAPs, more information could be useful.

I also wonder what would happen if you took the Yagi antenana the WAP200, since by the sound of your setup it may not be that far from the WAP200E.

regards Dave

yagi.JPG

Thank you for this info

I did get it working, but only after connecting the external antenna to the LEFT antenna jack

Facing the rear of the unit (looking at the jacks and the network port)

I hooked up to the LEFT jack and it works fine, when I hooked the external antenna to the right jack the performance

was very very slow.  I think the LEFT Jack is RX & TX and the RIGHT jack is RX only...