Views
Helpful
Replies

ISDN Testing

mailaglady2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I would like to know whether the ISDN capability lies mainly on the ISDN card itself or on the router ios, the reason I am asking is because I must test the isdn card before it can be deployed on the live network. My concern here is "Is there a need to test all these different routers that will be running sp services ios or not?

My example is if we purchase a 2821 router with spservices ios and want to use ISDN it will be tested, then if someone has a need for 1841 or 2811, or 3845/25 spservices ios, is there a need for us test again? If yes, why and if no still why?

Thanks and regards

Mpho

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mpho

Given what you have explained it would seem that your requirement is that you need to test the ISDN. In your original post it seems that you were asking whether your testing should focus on the hardware (card) or on the software. Since flaws might be found in either hardware or software, it seems to me that your requirements are only satisfied when you test both hardware and software.

I would also offer an observation that depending on where the routers are to be deployed (in how many different environments) it is more likely that there may be some configuration parameter which does not match to the local provider of ISDN which would cause a problem.

You may need to test the ISDN before the router is deployed, but I would suggest that it is even more important to do a test of ISDN functionality after the router is deployed. Since ISDN is for redundancy and not part of the primary functionality of the router, if the test at deployment site reveals a problem you would have time to rectify the problem before the ISDN is actually needed.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There is no need to test hardware. Cisco hardware is very reliable.

On the other hand IOS often have bugs so make sure you load a know working image in the router.

Mpho

Any component of a network device may suffer a flaw. There might be a problem with an individual ISDN card, there might be a problem with an individual router (problem with the processor, or with memory, or with power supply, or with backplane, or with something else). While I agree with Paolo that Cisco hardware is very reliable, we do not know enough about your situation to understand the requirement for router and component testing. How critical is it that a router be delivered to its destination in 100% working order? What is the impact if the ISDN did not work?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

I must make sure that we don't get suprises at a later stage since this ISDN will be used for redundancy. When there's a network failute this isdn should be able to work, the last thing I need is for this isdn connection to give us problems when we need it at the most. Secondly these tests must be done for functionality and stability before we can deploy any device or ios in a live network because of the SLA's.

Mpho

Given what you have explained it would seem that your requirement is that you need to test the ISDN. In your original post it seems that you were asking whether your testing should focus on the hardware (card) or on the software. Since flaws might be found in either hardware or software, it seems to me that your requirements are only satisfied when you test both hardware and software.

I would also offer an observation that depending on where the routers are to be deployed (in how many different environments) it is more likely that there may be some configuration parameter which does not match to the local provider of ISDN which would cause a problem.

You may need to test the ISDN before the router is deployed, but I would suggest that it is even more important to do a test of ISDN functionality after the router is deployed. Since ISDN is for redundancy and not part of the primary functionality of the router, if the test at deployment site reveals a problem you would have time to rectify the problem before the ISDN is actually needed.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi

Thanks for all your advices.

Kind regards

Mpho

Mpho

I am glad that our advice was helpful to you. Thank you for using the rating system to indicate that your question was resolved (and thanks for the rating). It makes the forum more useful when people can read a question and can know that they will find responses which led to a resolution of the question.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card