Views
Helpful
Replies

Last time that Running Config was changed

luisveraza
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Do you know how I can see the date, time that the running config was modified, updated ?.

Thank you.

14 Replies 14

slmansfield
Level 4
Level 4

The output of the "SHOW RUN" command has this information at the very start of the output listing.

! Last configuration change at 19:08:40 CDT Mon Oct 12 2009 by cworks

! NVRAM config last updated at 19:08:47 CDT Mon Oct 12 2009 by cworks

Hi, this IOS version is not showing it:

Router#sh running-config

Building configuration...

Current configuration : 3872 bytes

!

version 12.4

service timestamps debug datetime msec

service timestamps log datetime msec

Do you know another way ?.

For configs to show update timestamps, believe the router needs a "valid" clock.

Luis

Joseph is pointing you in the right direction. IOS will put the date and time of the last change into the config when the router believes that it does really know the right time. And as you have demonstrated it does not put the date and time when it does not have authoritative time.

The simple solution is for you to use the clock set command to set the date and time. The better solution is to configure the router to use NTP to learn time from some source.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thank you.

The router has the right time and date, but I can't see the time/date information that I need. I don't know why.

Do you have any idea ?.

Luis

My idea is that the router may remember the time and date and put them into log messages and things like that. But just remembering the date is not authoritative about correct time. Try my suggestions about using the clock set command or about configuring the router to use NTP and let us know what happens.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

If the appliance has the right time (look at the command "sh clock" and if you see "." in front that means that the appliance is NOT synchronized with the time) and you don't get any information of the "sh run" then the config was changed AFTER the appliance was rebooted.

Ok, thank you, here you can see what sh clock command says:

Router#sh clock

*22:28:06.035 UTC Tue Nov 10 2009

Router#

The router has long time that it's not rebooted.

Luis

The * before the time is another indicator (similar to the one mentioned by Leo) that the router time is not authoritative (even though it may be correct, it is not authoritative). Try my suggestion of using the clock set command and let us know what happens.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Is there any way to check last 5 saved configuration in which time and date.?

There is not anything that I know of on the router that will give the last 5 saved configs. There are various network management products that monitor devices and when they see config changes will archive copies of the config. They might (or they might not depending on the particular product) be able to give the last 5 saved configs. But I do not believe that you can get that from the router/switch itself.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi there!

I always recommend that every time the running config needs to be updated/modified, to always save it in the flash with date time etc, It is a valuable recording for the future. It has saved lots of time and effort when it comes to troubleshooting especially.

You just want the time/date config saved, not the actual configs?

If so, recall the syslog might log config saved update.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: