cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV016 with 3 WAN Connections - Windows Messenger Intermittent problems.

carlos.carcamo
Level 1
Level 1

I have a RV016 Router with 3 internet DSL conections.

Firmware version : 3.0.0.1-tm (Jun 6 2008 20:17:06)
LAN IP :  192.168.11.254  /24
WAN1 IP :  192.168.1.253  /24
WAN2 IP :  192.168.2.253  /24
WAN3 IP : 192.168.3.253   /24
MODE: Gateway.

Windows Messenger continually connects and disconnects. This behavior is permanent

I only have problems with Messengers (all releases), web page access is correct.

I check bandwith saturation and It's ok, I use less than 50% of each DSL.

I configured the correct size of MTU for each DSL and the problem continues.

Is there any way to set priority to this service?

Is there any way to check if the "load balance mode" affect this kind of connections?

I appreciate any idea.

12 Replies 12

daviddun
Level 3
Level 3

Good Afternoon,

The behavior is from not having the public IP 24.X.X.X on the WAN connection.

You need to place all three DSL connections in bridge mode and this should fix all your issues.

Your LAN setup is right, just change the WAN side

Have a great day :)

Thanks for reply David.

I put all DSL in bridge mode.
(See attached picture).

rv016.jpg

The problem continues :(.

I have about 150 pcs connected to the lan.

What is the maximum number of PCs that can be on the LAN?

Is there any way to see the TCP connections, NAT translations, error logs?

Could be that I have too many connections and too few public IP addresses?

Would welcome any suggestions.

I am unfamiliar with this windows messenger, but i have an option.  Under the system management tab, click on one of the wan's edit tab.  Here you see the protocol binding.  This option will allow you to bind certain ports and protocols to certain wan's.  What I would suggest, since you have 150 users.  I would segment the ip address and send some of the users out wan1, some out wan2 and some out wan3, binding the needed ports and protocols needed for windows messenger out the separate wans.  The destination on the protocol binding if you leave it to all 0's it means any destination.  I would give that a try and see if that makes the network operate a little smoothly.

Changing the DSL connections to bridge mode is part one of the solution.  When they weren't in bridge mode, they were also acting as gateways/routers, probably also doing NAT.

Now that they are in bridge mode, the rv016 has control of the connections and the routing.  Now that it has control, you can make the appropriate changes.

I ran into a similar issue as yours when I had an rv082 at one of my businesses.  I had to access the state's web site to file sales taxes online.  But their system detected when my router used a different WAN connection than the one I logged in on, so it would kick me off each time the router used both WAN connections.  I could enable only one WAN connection each time I used their system (which would also work in your case with messenger), but that wasn't a real solution.

For you the solution will be a port trigger range.  (For me the solution was to bind that destination site to a WAN connection.)  Go to Setup-->Forwarding in the rv016 web management.  You will see a section for port triggering at the bottom.  Here's a link to a site that goes more into detail on the ports that need to have triggers on them:

http://www.electrictoolbox.com/article/networking/open-firewall-msn-icq/

I don't have messenger setup, so I don't know the ports off-hand. This setup should allow any system connected (just as they are now) to properly use messenger.

Let me know if you need any more help.

Huntsville's Premiere Car and Bike e-magazine: www.huntsvillecarscene.com

Hi,

i have the same problem.. but...

Can you explain what it means "to bridge the WAN ports" ?

How can you redirect all the traffic for a specific website to a specific WAN port to avoid disconnection? (i can't find this opportunity)

MSN Messenger use port 80.. how can you trigger this port (HTTP Port) ? triggering this port it will forward also all the web traffic to a specific WAN or not?

thanks

Roberto

Bridge mode tells the DSL router to not be a router and just be a modem.  Then you can set up the DSL login in the rv016.

You can specify traffic for a particular destination to use a specific wan port.  I believe it is under System Management--Multi-WAN.  This will probably work better than just port triggering.

renatotoi
Level 1
Level 1

Carlos,

I have a RV016 with firmware 3.0.0.19-tm that resets itself automatically whenever I connect WAN3. PCs lose connection during reset, and reconnect after router is back to normal operation. This undesired resets occurs in less than 20 minutes after the previous reset.

With only WAN1 and WAN2, resets do not occur. I detected this problem 19 days ago, and with only two wans, router has been operating without interruption for 19 days.

My suggestion is that you try only two wans for a few days.

Renato

I have the exact same problem as you do.  My problem is caused by over 100 packet/sec coming from my ISP.  The rv016 thinks it's being attacked and does all sorts of strange things like drops the connection or reboots.  I've been working with Cisco on this for months, but they aren't any help.

The solution which I've found that works is to put another router in between the wan connection and the rv016.  But this can't be used on wan connections where you are using vpns.  I bought some cheap used routers at a used computer place locally and put them in front of my wan1 and wan2.  My reboots are down to every 12 hours on my 3.0.0.19-tm firmware.  On my original rv016 running v2 firmware (which Cisco incorrectly said had gone bad), it will start to route slower until it completely locks up about every 24 hrs.

Samir,

My problem seems to be different, as my DSLs routers (wan1 and wan2 to rv016) are in gateway mode. This configuration is similar to using additional routers like yours.

Renato

That's really strange.  How many packets/sec are they hitting the rv016 with?

saljoaidan
Level 1
Level 1

I have like you problem . do you have the Solution

Besides my 'router in front of the rv016' solution, I was never able to find a fix.  I moved and the rv016 has only one internet connection and needs to be rebooted every day on v2 firmware.

I'm about to see if this problem still exists as I try to use two rv016s in a gateway-to-gateway vpn setup with two internet connections on each gateway.  If these problems still plague me, I'll be selling my rv016s and moving to peplink or another brand.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: