Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS3.1 - Memory Insufficient Error Message from 12404 router

tckoon
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Just wonder what is the meanning of this fault message. If only show up in DFM but not is router logging. What is the action require.

See attachement for DFM fault message.

PRIMPLS2PE#show memory summary

Head Total(b) Used(b) Free(b) Lowest(b) Largest(b)

Processor 6B010A0 1898966880 50296628 1848670252 1841231824 1847159332

I/O 79E00000 67108864 30724036 36384828 36227920 36373788

PCI 77E00000 33554432 33401688 152744 152744 152700

Fast 6AE10A0 131072 129528 1544 1544 1500

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

This response is correct from the DFM side. You cannot ignore this threshold for one pool. You can, however, drop the threshold to 0 for insufficient free memory for all routers for all pools under DFM > Configuration > Polling and Thresholds > Managing Thresholds.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The amount of free PCI RAM is 0.46%, so the event is correct. PCI memory is typically used for inter-module I/O operations. I'm not sure if this particular condition is bad in your case. You might consider opening a TAC service request to see what the architecture team can tell you.

Hi Clarke,

In 2007 I did open the ticket and TAC reply as below. Question is can I set in DFM to ignored this message or customize the threshold ?

Problem Description

====================

* Initial problem occurred when CiscoWorks reported low free memory in

the PCI and Fast memory pools of two GSR routers.

Analysis:

=========

I found that:

* The PCI and Fast memory pools had sufficient free memory and that it

was normal for the memory to be at such a level.

* You cannot configure the free memory threshold for individual memory

pools in CiscoWorks.

Action Plan

====================

* Solution to the issue was to ignore the low PCI and Fast memory alarms

generated by CiscoWorks or to open a PER - Product Enhancement Request

for DFM, to tackle the issue of the free memory threshold alarm.

This response is correct from the DFM side. You cannot ignore this threshold for one pool. You can, however, drop the threshold to 0 for insufficient free memory for all routers for all pools under DFM > Configuration > Polling and Thresholds > Managing Thresholds.

yjdabear
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Since it's IOS, it can't be CSCdv53955. Since 12000 doesn't seem to run modular IOS, it can't be CSCsi10953 either.

So this is a valid SNMP trap message concerning "cencMemoryUtilization" (CISCO-EPM-NOTIFICATION-MIB) to DFM, which explains why the router log doesn't show it:

https://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/ciscoworks_device_fault_manager/3.2/user/guide/NotifMIB.html

Not a trap at all. DFM creates this event based on SNMP polling. It polls the CISCO-MEMORY-POOL-MIB, and sees exactly what the CLI shows: the PCI memory pool has only a tiny amount of free memory available. This type of event is probably not something that would be logged on the router unless a malloc call failed.

Thanks for the correction of my mischaracterization. So if DFM polls CISCO-MEMORY-POOL-MIB directly, how does CISCO-EPM-NOTIFICATION-MIB get utilized by DFM/HUM, if at all?

DFM sends trap notifications to other SNMP managers using the traps defined in the CISCO-EPM-NOTIFICATION-MIB. No device supports this MIB.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: