Helpful
Replies

Regarding 6509-E Power requriement

nasim_nasri
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Experts,

I would like know little physcis here of 6509-E,

Here in one of the data centers we have incoming voltage 220 vlots which is fine no issues, but the electricity is coming via UPS and the amps which are coming is 32AMP and 6509-E required only 16AMP per input.

Can anyone shade lights what would be negative if I go and run the 6509-E with 32AMP instead of 16AMPS, also if someone can forward me link where i can read about amperes required by 6509-E

6 Replies 6

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Technically the devices are rated by their watts (power consumption). Power = current (amps) x voltage.

What you really care about is having enough power for a given circuit. this is usually stated in terms of the amperage (amps) of the circuit breaker for a given voltage.

A 6509E with redundant PS can draw up to 8700 watts. 220V x 32A = 7040 watts so your hypothetical circuit is underpowered. Of course, if you're doing it properly, the 6509E would be powered off of two circuits (4350W each theoretical maximum) so that would be adequate. You'd want to make sure it was a dedicated circuit though.

Every PSU has dedicated circuit and each circuit is 32AMPS

Now I have two 6000W Power supply for each 6509-E each power supply has two inputs

So can I safely say that if I connect 4 inputs (each 32amps)to the both power supplies of 6509-E then my switch 6509-e will not have any harmful affect.

thanks

A way to look at power is that the device (your 6509) pulls what it needs (8 Amps). The amperage does not get pushed to the device (all 32 Amps). As long as the voltage is the same and the "pull" (actually called draw as Marvin stated) is less than 32 Amps, you're good.

6509-E requires 16AMPS per input so I think it should be fine

If I plug only one input per power supply would this create any problem on that

thanks

It shouldn't.

Hi.

Be aware that the 6000 W PSU is (to the best of my knowledge) actually like two 3000 W PSU in the same housing. This means, if I remember right, that in the situation where you plug in only one inlet, then your PSU only can deliver 3000 W at the maximum and that might be too little for what you have in the Cat6509E.

HTH, Ingolf

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card